The prompt that speaks to me the most would be
1X.
“We had accepted
uncritically the belief that technology is only good: that it cannot serve evil
as well as good: that it cannot serve our enemies as well as ourselves; that it
cannot be used to destroy what is good, including our homelands and our lives.”
(Berry, 3-4)
This prompt speaks to me for the better, because
I believe that Berry had been completely right on and accurate with this
statement. He explains in this prompt about how we have accepted that technology
can’t hurt us and that it can only help us. I think that the point that Berry
is trying to get across with this prompt is that we had underestimated the weaponry
that is brought upon us in war and also situations like 9-11. We as Americans
are gullible in the way that we believe technology can’t hurt us and can’t hurt
our homelands.
In the second essay I thought Berry used his
ideas and concepts best when he talked about the “environmental crisis”. Berry states that, “The “environmental
crisis” has happened because the human household or economy is in conflict at
almost every point with the household of nature.” (Berry, 12) At first I didn’t
agree with Berry because I felt as if he was putting the blame on the people
more than the economy. But then he backs up his statements and beliefs with the
way that people play into the economy. He talks about people individually and
how much people depend on the economy and things like corporations more than we think.
The word I decided to research is corporation. Berry gives different examples about how a corporation is unlike a person because we need to stop treating corporations as if they are like people. To understand this more I looked up the definition of a corporation.
Corporation- a company or group of people authorized to act as a single entity (legally a person) and recognized as such in law.
The definition states that a corporation is legally a person. After reading Berry's different ideas about corporations not being like a person, it shows the issues and problems that could occur by treating a corporation as a person.
The thing I believe that people should know more about is where we as people are headed towards in this life with technology. Technology is all around us, and its growing everyday. We as people rely on all sorts of technology now more than we realize. I did some research about our lives with technology and came up with this article.
In this article Divine Caroline explains how technology takes over our lives. She explains a different view with her article than Berry did as in talking about cell phones taking over our relationships with people. While Berry talks about technology taking over our lives with war, and how we as people don't think about how dangerous technology can really be to us and our homes. This article gives different views about technology and how it is slowly starting to take over our lives.
Hey Mandy,
ReplyDeleteI really like the quote you used from the first essay. While doing my reading that was one of the sections I underlined to discuss in groups. I think that America sometimes doesn't consider while developing it's weapons and technology that there is a possibility it may be used against us. We provide other countries weapons and support, but never fully consider how that may negatively effect us in the future. I also thought you picked a very interesting definition word. When I think of a corporation, I typically think of some greedy CEO calling all the shots. Taking the time to see the definition and realize that a corporation does not have human emotions really opens up my perspective. It is the job of a company to make a profit for investors, not to consider moral issues or protect the land we live on.
I think it is quite important for us to realize just how dependent on technology we are today. While technology can and often does make our lives easier, it is also fragile. I like the article you used and I think it does an admirable job of illustrating the many ways technology has taken over our lives. I think with this, and life in general the key is balance. We must strike a balance between the way we use technology and self and community reliance.
ReplyDeleteHey Mandy! I just realized that your last name is my first name and that made me laugh! But anyway I had the same question arise while reading Berry's essay and I looked at the source you provided and I thought it was beneficial. I liked how Caroline showed how technology was destroying our lives in a way and it opened my eyes to how technology is not as beneficial as everyone thinks it is. You should check out the sources I gave in my Journal 4 to see some benefits to technology when you are free!
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post, and I completely agree with you that Americans have a blind view when it comes to technology harming us. You used some really good quotes here as well. Additionally I found the article you attached to be really interesting, but I think my life has already been taken over. Honestly I find it impossible to go through a day without using technology, which is kind of depressing.