Monday, March 23, 2015

Brainstorm Homework for Essay Three: Holding On. From Mike Lohre

Students, please post 3 specific topics that you might use from Holding On toward writing Essay Three.

Post them and explain the possible thesis and research ideas you have for each one in the Comments section of this post.

Thanks!

Mike

Brainstorm Examples:


THE VALUE OF DOGS:  One theme I really valued in Holding On was the special relationship some of the characters had with dogs, and especially coon dogs.  I think I could use two of the profiles from the book to help show this relationship.  I could broaden the theme in research by thinking about how dogs play varied but important roles in American culture.  I know seeing-eye dogs are so valuable for disabled people.  I think I could explain and prove that.  I know also dogs are used in drug enforcement.  I would research this and try to show the effect and value of dogs in our personal lives and also in our communities. 

CIVIL RIGHTS and CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE: The Geneva Tisdale and Harold Cotton profiles made me really think about how individuals have to take a stand in their local communities before we ever see change on the national level.  How many other unknown heroes are out there who integrated businesses and local communities and even engaged in civil disobedience to do it?  I will investigate the role of civil disobedience in culture and I think I can use Berry for this as well.  My thesis might be that civil disobedience has its dangers, but is a vital part of civil rights and progress. 

91 comments:

  1. Travel-non-traditional travel (backpacking/hitchhiking) how people can carry just the essentials and leave jobs, families, comforts of life to travel somewhere, start over or for leisure. This could go back to the hobo culture, train riders. Something of value is to be taken from people who can travel by foot and live off bare minimum necessities. I was very interested in this theme that we explored at the beginning of the semester.

    Health care--caring for loved ones in the home and the burden this can have on a family. How the government programs assist families and what role should the government take in aiding in the chronic care of elderly or disabled individuals. I currently work part time as a independent provider contracted through the state of Ohio to care for children with disabilities in their home. Our governor wants to cut this program to allow only health care agencies. I have first hand knowledge on the problems that will come to these families if the program is cut.

    Abuse of authority and power. This theme was presented many times throughout holding on and is still a major issue on our society today. Ferguson and other cases like it are in the news daily. Why wasn't the mormon situation presented in Barlow on the news? Was it hidden from the public? Was this intentional? Much more research would have to be done for me to understand the facts fully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The abuse of authority and power would be a very interesting topic for essay three. There is a lot to explore in this topic.

      Delete
    2. I really liked your theme about the abuse of authority and power, I think it could be a really interesting topic to research and that you could probably find a lot of information and examples about how this happens more often than we realize.

      Delete
    3. I like both your non-traditional travel and abuse of power ideas. The non-traditional travel would be a great subject to research. Just researching the hobo culture revealed many different sub-cultures.

      Delete
    4. I think your last theme was my favorite. That is really an emerging issue in America today. I think someone could write a really good paper on this issue.

      Delete
    5. I also like you last theme about abuse of power because it is becoming a larger issue in today's society.

      Delete
  2. Value of Handmade for Mass Production: One theme that i saw several times in Holding On was the value of people sticking to their handmade items and to make people appreciate them. Too many things in our daily life are mass produced and have lost that craftsmanship that our parents or their parents knew. One thing that could relate to this that i could expand is the outsourcing companies that were previously handmade and now are being outsourced to overseas for purely monetary reasons. People come to accept these cheap knock-offs instead of the handmade fine products. Also i could bring in Walmart and how it tries to snuff out mom and pop shops that do things old school for their cheap china products.

    Natural Medicine and treatments over chemical and scientific treatments: We seem to have created so many drugs and treatments to cure our illnesses that were treated naturally maybe 100 years ago. These new steps may have more side effects then actual benefits, but we see them as science-based and trust their outcomes. I could research the natural cures and how they have pharmaceutical counterparts. Also, i could research the people still practicing thermal or natural medicine and how they are able to do good with stuff from nature.

    Simplicity is better: This was a theme that i took from the Tocco story, and how he did not have the fanciest gym but was still able to turn out great athletes. Too many people in todays society believe that they need the biggest and best equipment or supplements to be the best athlete they can be. Despite people like Tocco sticking to the basics and excelling. I could research the connection between athletes and performance-enhancing items and how old school techniques produce better results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The value of handmade vs mass production is one of my top three. There is so many different ways you could present this theme. Good idea.

      Delete
    2. I really liked your idea about the value of handmade for mass production. This could be a good topic for a paper and you can get many different ideas for it!

      Delete
    3. The comparison between natural medicinal treatment and scientific treatment- is a really good idea, probably going to write about it.

      Delete
    4. I think that the value of handmade items is a good topic. I feel like people value it less than they used to and should.

      Delete
  3. 1)The death of Mom and Pop business, Walmart Effect: Bill Seward Profile. Marie Combs Profile. Kornfield. Tisdale. Talk about how corporations take over small towns and ruin them. How important these places are to local culture. What is lost by their absence. How to support local places. Find places around my home town that are being suffocated by big business.
    2) Local figures recognized on a national level for their good deeds: Joe Franklin Profile. Possibly talk about Jack Hanna at the columbus zoo. Started out small and through his actions created a national landmark out of a small formerly unknown zoo. Talk about his path through life and what he still is fighting for.
    3) Planned Obsolescence, craftsmanship over mass production: Bill Seward Profile. Van Calvin Profile. How things aren't made like they used to be. Benefits of buying used instead of new. How this goes against our growing culture in this country. What role does advertising play into this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The death of Mom and Pop business, Walmart Effect. Top 3 for sure.

      Delete
    2. I like your first idea so much. I think the thing I like about it is the idea of primary research of being able to go out and find a small place that's dying and talk about it, about why it's worth while to maintain. There's also so many research opportunities on a national level. It's specific, easy to find evidence for, and will be unique. Marysville where I am from has lost so much local business to chains. OSU recently evicted a bunch of restaurants and bars on high street to replace them with a hotel and some high end business. There are just so many interesting ideas here.

      Delete
    3. The death of Mom and Pop business is a really good theme cory. I think i might use this one.

      Delete
    4. death of mom and pop buisnesses could be interesting.

      Delete
  4. JOBS THAT ARE DIFFICULT BUT OVERLOOKED DAILY: Charlie DeLeo is the profile that I am choosing to refer to in the book Holding On. DeLeo is a man who seemed to do what he loved. He wanted to around and on top of the Statue of Liberty as much as he could be. He got that chance and was hired as a "maintenance man" for the Statue of Liberty. Doing something he loves as an occupation is a theme that can be used. That being said, I think the bigger theme is that this is a job that unless written about, is consistently overlooked. Although it is overlooked I believe that this is one of many jobs that benefit us but are overlooked. My thesis might be the various jobs that are overlooked daily that have a lasting and benefiting effect on Americans each and every day.

    LARGE BUSINESSES RUNNING OVER SMALL ONES: In the profile of Bill Seward, Bill is an owner of a small mom and pap bar and cafe. A lot of times we don't hear about these places but we see them and taste them with both our eyes and our mouths. What seems to be the problem is big businesses such as Walmart come into to these small towns that have these small cafes and take over the land and force the cafes that are small out of business. Then, as soon as these businesses collapse, large organizations such as Walmart raise their prices right back up. My thesis might be the struggle that these mom and pap businesses go through and what might need to happen in order for this to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your idea about the large businesses running over small ones. I completely agree with you about the larger businesses taking over. I believe small businesses is where it all started and they need some recognition as well.

      Delete
    2. I like first idea about jobs that are overlooked and would be fascinated to find to find other "dirty jobs" that necessary but kind of spectacular or unusual.

      Delete
  5. Tradition- how tradition is important and what it can teach us. Many people in the book kept on with their tradition from their ancestors, some made their own and some 'disobeyed' tradition. I think it would be interesting to look into tradition and how it affects lives, specifically the traditions of Native Americans today.

    Transexuality- transexuality has changed throughout the past decade, and I think it would be extremely interesting to look into its culture and how it has evolved. Specifically how it has changed from when Silvia Rivera was young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the topic of transexuality could make for an interesting paper. There is probably a lot of information that could be found for it.

      Delete
  6. Wages: This was mentioned in class today and it really struck me. I never really thought about the differences in the amount that men and women make. Looking at Geneva Tisdale's profile She believes that the reason she was never given a raise and stayed at $5.50 an hour was because she was black. Thats something I could do further research on, I could look in to the amount that men and women make in every race.

    Do it yourself: Another great one that I believe could have some research done on it. Jim Bishop was the main profile that I could see this value in. I could look into not only how his castle is going today, but also look into other projects like his that have been done.

    School Dropouts: Jim Bishop also works with this one. He dropped out of school and in the end started to make a castle. I know there are a lot of self taught people in the world and they really interest me. I could do research on those people and see how they succeded in life without a diploma or a degree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It would certainly be interesting to do some research on the dropouts. I suspect that most of the stories you would find wouldn't be successful.
      To me at least the cornerstone of the american dream today is getting an education. We value that so much in our culture, so it would be worth looking into both success stories as well as the reasons people are willing to drop out and go their own way.

      Delete
    3. Wages are something that I discussed too. Could be a very interesting topic to write about.

      Delete
    4. I really like your ideas of wages and of high school dropouts, I think there is a lot that could be researched behind them. And that it would be really interesting topics to look more into and do more research on.

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. Bill Gates is a great starting point for this topic.

      Delete
    7. The theme of high school dropouts or college dropouts and their success would make a fantastic paper. I really like how you put this theme together.

      Delete
    8. Wages and how women still make considerably less than men would be top three.

      Delete
  7. Ideas For Essay Three

    1. From the Jim Bishop entry I felt that the perfection of nature was a strong theme. In his life he saw the cruelty of humans and how horrible people treat nature and just wanted to be alone with it. I feel researching the effects that humans have had on nature, both positive and negative, although I think it will be easier to find negatives. Some positives could be the preservation of national parks and forests.

    2. The Dan Barlow entry and the history of mistreatment of different religious groups. In my interview for essay two my Pastor told me about passages from the Bible that tell of mistreatment of Christians. I feel this can still be seen today in the mistreatment and racism towards Jews, Muslims, and other minority religions. There are countless jokes that poke fun of Jews and Muslims are always looked down upon following the events of September 11, 2001.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your second idea, I agree that that would most definitely be an interesting topic to pursue, especially due to the stereotypes of Muslims today.

      Delete
  8. RELIGIOUS MOTIVATION: One of the main themes that runs throughout Holding On is the backing that some of the profiles put into religion. Some are building things in the name of their religion and others are taking part in different ways of worshiping. Research into the different and extreme ways of worshiping or showing how devote they are to the religion. Things like research into snake handling or the Grotto of Redemption would be a good start.

    SPIRITUALISM: The profiles of Augustina Martinez and Joe Merrill and Hilda Wilkinson focus on spiritualism. While they are both different types, research into other forms would be interesting. Even spiritualism in culture would be a good research topic, as many shows and movies focus on this now.

    LARGE OBSESSIONS: Donald Bean and Robert Shields are obsessed with monumental things. Each of there obsessions are of note, being either different, or one of a kind. Research into more of these types of people in America would include many different types of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiritualism sounds like an interesting subject to research. Researching the history of their culture would be a great start.

      Delete
    2. One of the ones that I am seriously considering is something involving hoarding behaviors. it is a problem for many people and it would be useful to research out some of the psychiatric aspects as well as some of the physical problems this creates such as the ulcers the record guy had on his feet and the fact that he might need to get his legs amputated.

      Delete
    3. Obsession is a fascinating theme. It's a them I'm interested in but it would be tough essay to write because like in holding on it might be difficult to find something to celebrate and not be wholely negative. I like this theme a lot and how you suggest searching out monumental things

      Delete
    4. the theme of religion is definitely a big theme that i noticed as well throughout many profiles. And the motivation to do certain things and devote their lives to something because of religious and spiritual beliefs.

      Delete
    5. I think large obsessions would be hard to do, but definitely interesting, maybe to look into famous people who made their obsession into a living. Or to look at the detrimental side of it.

      Delete
  9. Hold Onto Your Traditions: The Snake-handlers, Sylvia (Ray) Rivera profiles are good examples of this. Many people in the modern era are always looking/planning the future and getting away from their rich history. You could research companies that claim that they have/had certain traditions and see if they still continue it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER: In Holding on, one theme I really valued was to NOT be quick to judge someone or something. One profile that represented this theme was Virginia Belle Brewer who collected bells. Isay was quick to judge Brewer's collection of bells as boring and useless, but as soon as he began to interview her, he figured out that she was so passionate about bells and gave up everything she had to share her love in the collection. I think this theme is very powerful.
    HOLDING ONTO LANGUAGE: Another theme that I found valuable in Holding On was to do not give up on dying traditions, and a profile that expressed this theme was Dr. Hepcat who sticked to "jive talk" regardless of all the trials and knocks he received. Some topic questions that could be asked is: Should we all talk in a standardized language to stay united? Should we have a second or third language taught in high school to show/express diversity in this country?
    HEALTH CARE: Another theme that I valued was the care of old people. One question that could be asked is How do we best care for old people without having to pay an outrageous amount of money on Health Care? A profile that expressed this theme is Calvin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your first idea, and i think it could make a really good paper.

      Delete
    2. I think the second idea is interesting... Because since that I was born in a different country, my experience was that they taught us to speak english along with our own native language. So I would say that learning a second language wouldn't show much of a diversity aspect of a country, but more of the want to interact with other cultures.

      Delete
    3. Language would be a great subject to research. You can also write about the influence of a language and what it represents.

      Delete
  11. DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER: In Holding on, one theme I really valued was to NOT be quick to judge someone or something. One profile that represented this theme was Virginia Belle Brewer who collected bells. Isay was quick to judge Brewer's collection of bells as boring and useless, but as soon as he began to interview her, he figured out that she was so passionate about bells and gave up everything she had to share her love in the collection. I think this theme is very powerful.
    HOLDING ONTO LANGUAGE: Another theme that I found valuable in Holding On was to do not give up on dying traditions, and a profile that expressed this theme was Dr. Hepcat who sticked to "jive talk" regardless of all the trials and knocks he received. Some topic questions that could be asked is: Should we all talk in a standardized language to stay united? Should we have a second or third language taught in high school to show/express diversity in this country?
    HEALTH CARE: Another theme that I valued was the care of old people. One question that could be asked is How do we best care for old people without having to pay an outrageous amount of money on Health Care? A profile that expressed this theme is Calvin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER: Top three

      Delete
    2. Hey! One point that I found interesting in your themes is don't judge a book by its cover. I also had these thoughts while reading this book and I think it would be a good paper topic.

      Delete
    3. I like the first one don't be too quick to judge because you'll never now what you'll get.

      Delete
  12. HOLDING ONTO HERITAGE/ HISTORY. A theme found within this book is holding onto your past and onto your heritage weather it was by keeping your traditions alive through keeping your traditional occupation like Percy Bringham and scaffold fishing, to protecting your land that has been apart of your family and people for generations like Roberta Blackgoat. Or you have people like Mike Gashwazra who will not allow the technologies of the outside world corrupt the long standing traditions of his people. So this paper would be exploring the topic of the length people will go to preserve there past and history. It will also talk about the importance of remembering things, or places, or people that have come before us and why they important even today and all the lessons we can learn from them and the measures we should take to protect them.

    THE IMPORTANCE OF FOLK ART AND CREATIVE EXPRESSION. Another theme that can be found in the book with many examples is folk art and plainly put creative expression. Many of these artists can be viewed as visionaries also because they get an idea and they tackle it, no holding back. A perfect example would be Jim Bishop the castle builder. This paper could explore how people have used art to express themselves creatively or to get a point across or to rally people together. Also the people, history, and the motivation behind there work.

    HOLDING ONTO PRIDE IN THE WORK PLACE AND NOT BEING AFRAID OF HARD WORK. One theme I can see in the book is pride in your work and going the extra mile to make sure it is done right. one example of this is James "Jim Boy" Smith the grain scooper. There are many profiles in the book that touch base on people that take pride in there jobs and believe they are keeping a tradition alive as long as there work is carried on. It would also be interesting how some people worked at a young age or how they were treated back then like Lawrence W, "Happy" Davis or Harold Cotton, and how the work place has changed over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holding onto heritage and history could lead to an extensive essay topic.

      Delete
    2. I like your second idea the thought of how people use their art and why would make a great paper.

      Delete
    3. I like your third topic: HOLDING ONTO PRIDE IN THE WORK PLACE AND NOT BEING AFRAID OF HARD WORK. Sounds like a good topic to explore, since working hard on something is less and less evident in todays society.

      Delete
    4. I love your idea of holding onto folk art and tradition, that is so incredibly important, especially in this day and age when we rely on technology for everything. I think it would be absolutely fascinating to study and look into various folk arts and forgotten cultures and how they are keeping alive today.

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Homosexuality: The profile of Sylvia Rivera and Deputy Seymour Pine really made me think about where society today stands on the topic of homosexuality and where it stood around the time of the Stonewall riots. Determination and courage is a theme I noticed and picked up on a lot throughout many profiles in Holding on. In this specific profile it is the main theme I focused on. Sylvia, other drag queens, and homosexuals took an incredible risk the night of the riots which took lots of courage and they were very determined to stand up for themselves and others like them. Determination and courage in standing up for what you believe in is what helps people to achieve their goals and dreams in life, set for themselves and society.


    Happiness: Many of the profiles in holding on are of people doing what they truly love and have a passion for in life. A specific profile I enjoyed was Segundo Mugarra’s. It was really interesting to read how happy he was even in such hard conditions, sleeping outside, climbing rocks, and being surrounded by rattle snakes and harsh weather conditions. Segundo is a sheepherder who loves what he does and loves sheep. He is so happy with the simplest of things. He says “So I happy. Happy all the time.” Loving what one does and ones work with passion is what brings true happiness.


    Value of money: The profile of Donald Bean, Dinosaur theme park show how little money means when living out a dream. Donald’s theme park took many years and a lot of money to finally build and open his theme park and it was not a “success” financially but in another way it was. To Donald he made a dream come true and although the theme park did not make much money at all in his eyes it was still a success, he was successful. When a dream is reached that is success in itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think that your last two ideas could be combined to make a really nice paper.

      Delete
    2. I do enjoy the second idea since TRUE happiness is hard to come by in any society these days.

      Delete
    3. I like your last idea about the value of money and how it differs from person to person.

      Delete
    4. The value of money is a great topic. There are so many takes on the topic, everyone has their own idea on the subject. Could probably find many people who have done something similar to Donald.

      Delete
  15. DANGERS OF DOING WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO: One theme that I got from Holding On was definitely doing what you love to do, no matter what the dangers. This theme is shown in the profile of Maury Graham, where he risked his life daily to be a hobo and ride the trains because he loves what he did. Another profile that shows this is Charlie DeLeo, where he takes care of what he loves with the dangers of heights or even the people that come along the statue of liberty. This paper could be talking about more people who risk their lives daily just because they refuse to give up what they love to do. For example, dangerous hobbies that people have today like sky diving, or bull fighting.

    RELIGION: Another theme that I had noticed in Holding On was the different ways of religion. There are many different types of religion and different ways to show and worship it. One profile that shows how to worship religion is the Dewey Chafin and Barbara Elkins profile. They worship their religion by serpent holding, which is very dangers and can even be fatal. This paper could talk about different ways to worship God and to express religion and how long back these ways started.

    THE IMPORTANCE OF FINDING YOUR PASSION: I believe that one of the biggest themes in Holding On is finding your passion and doing it. Every story in this book can be an example of this theme, from Robert Shields' recording passion to Segundo Mugarra's sheep passion, every one of these people feel like they have been put on this earth for a reason and they have all found it. This paper can express the importance of finding your passion and give examples of unique passions people have and how they express them and make them important in our everyday lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that your first idea could make a really good paper.

      Delete
    2. This was a big theme I too came across throughout many of the profiles in Holding on. I like this theme a lot because I think it is very important to do something in life you are passionate about.

      Delete
    3. The Importance of Finding Your Passion is one theme I really like because it has been illustrated in almost every profile in the book.

      Delete
    4. Doing what you love would be very easy to write about. There are many people who are passionate about what they love.

      Delete
    5. I think that the dangers of doing what you love would be a good topic to look more into.

      Delete
    6. Hey! I am interested in your thoughts about passion. I also had these thoughts while reading the book. It is interesting to see and hear peoples different passions. I hope one day I can nail down my passion and run with it.

      Delete
  16. HEALTHCARE AND THE COST. I think it would be a neat idea to write about the large amount of money we put into healthcare and why doctors are paid so much for the work they do. It would seem to me that some reasons must exist for this and I would enjoy searching for them.
    THE PSYCHIATRIC VALUE OF DOING WHAT YOU LOVE AS OPPOSED TO JUST MAKING A LIVING. This might be more of a research idea then a paper idea. I think it is common knowledge that happy people are generally more healthy than unhappy people; I think it would be worth it to explore A, some of the effects both mental and physical of perpetual unhappiness in what you do and B, just how bad some of these effects can get. There might be a balance between the two extremes that would be relevant to find.
    THE VALUE AND DECLINE OF BEING AN INDIVIDUAL IN AN INCREASINGLY HOMOGENOUS SOCIETY.
    This one is somewhat self explanatory I think. All of the profiles in holding on were unique in some way; some of them in numerous ways. I think it used to be the case that people used to be less desperate for peer approval then they are now. I think people used to be more proud of who they were as individuals instead of following the example of whomever is popular at the moment. There are a number of different tacks I could take with this one and it would certainly be interesting to research it out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Living traditionally: Johnny Tocco created his gym based on the concept of simplicity. Johnny found out what worked efficiently and stuck with it. There are lots of real world examples that could be found in today’s society. There are still mom and pop stores that don’t accept debit cards. These businesses still make profits and continue to run without sacrificing their traditional methods of accepting cash.
    Faith and Religion: Many stories in Holding On have to do with beliefs. From psychics to snake handlers, everyone has certain beliefs. It would be interesting to research some similarities and differences between different religions. Finding more obscure religions that are not typically discussed in American culture may be enlightening. Because it is a short project, it would be necessary to find a specific topic to discuss.
    Polygamy: We read about Dan Barlow’s experience in the polygamous community. How have other polygamists been treated? Has there been other incidents that compare to what Dan Barlow experience? There are a lot of questions that could be researched about the struggles and beliefs of polygamous couples.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. The Drive to Collect- While reading the Virginia Belle Brewer, the Robert Shields, the George Preston, and the Stanley Kilar profiles, I was struck by the importance of stuff, the stories the stuff has to tell and why we collect this particular stuff. I know there are large museums that have mission statements and we collect things personally that have value to us, but I am interested in what other small museums or collections are out there. What motivates these people to keep it? Why is it worth preserving? What stories do we give seemingly insignificant objects that makes them become so important? I wonder what effect these have on the people or the culture that is preserving this stuff. In a country that celebrates the preservation of it's constitution and Archie Bunker's chair in the same block, I wonder objects accrue cultural and personal value over economic value.


    2. The Link Between Identity or Culture and Profession (Particularly in Dwindling Professions)- In the profiles James Smith and Percy Bingham, there were professions that were intensely linked to culture or in the case of James Smith the Grain scooper created it's own sort of culture. Both these professions and the cultures they are attached are in jeopardy because of technological progress. I know there are other similar professions out there in the same boat. The easy folk example is John Henry, but I wonder how many real John Henry's are out there right now. I wonder how this affects people when a profession is linked to way life like in the case of Percy Bingham the scaffold fisherman. I might do research as to what they are and why they might be worth preserving. I might include a discussion of Wendell Berry in this and ask the question is progress really progress?


    3. Places That Were bypassed- This one might be a bit of a stretch. The Lincoln Highway in the profile George Preston of Preston's Filling Station is a by passed locations. I wonder what small cities are like, what unique local flavor was choked by the lose of a national attention. I think of the rust belt and dying cities like Canton and Akron and makes me think of why these cities are shrinking. I might do research on these cities and the caused of their boom and collapse and more interesting is what's still there. I might do research on current events as well with draining of Buckeye Lake and it's potential effects, how it might become another location just passed by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the Harding Home and Memorial is a great example of a bypassed location. I've lived in Marion my entire life and never here anyone talk about it even though it is an amazing place to visit.

      Delete
    2. I really like your second idea. I noticed that there was a large amount of pride that people took in some trades that i thought were menial. That is something that is dying out as people more and more are chasing money and the more elevated profesians.

      Delete
  19. 1. Being successful without higher education. I think it would be interesting to look into just how many successful people in today's time and in the past don't have a college degree. I think society puts a lot of pressure on teenagers now a days to go to college to have a successful life. However, I think it would be worth looking into to see how other people became successful with a degree.

    2. Larger companies taking over the small ones. I think this would be a topic to look into simply because it's so common in today's time. We see big companies coming into towns and wiping out all the small locally owned ones in our own towns all the time.

    3. Doing what you love. I think this would be a good topic because I don't think many people do it anymore. I think we as society are often taught to go to college and get a job doing something making a lot of money so that we can turn out to be successful. It isn't often that people take up an occupation and do it simply because they love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your first one now a days it seems like you need a college education in order to be successful. To see how other people managed would be interesting.

      Delete
    2. I chose the death of mom and pop businesses and the wal mart effect. I think those go along great with your second topic.

      Delete
    3. I love the first idea of looking into success without higher education. Bill Gates is probably the best example in my opinion. He dropped out of college and obviously it worked out for him in the end. Could be a really cool topic.

      Delete
    4. I would really like to look into your first idea. I think its facinating how some people are able to drop out of school and still become more successful than other people who go into higher education.

      Delete
    5. I really like your topic about being successful without a higher education. There are many different examples that can be shown how this topic is true and could make a good paper!

      Delete
    6. I like your third topic! sounds like a good topic to explore.

      Delete
    7. I like the first idea of being successful without a degree. Something i wrote about in my paper that was discussed in my interview was the topic of what it meant to be successful and what was cool was that to the both of us we agreed that success is being happy in what you do in life and how you live your life.

      Delete
    8. I think it would be cool to research large companies taking over small business because a lot of people in Holding On were do it yourself kind of people.

      Delete
  20. Preservation of memories: Many people have special places where they've spun their brightest memories. Businesses, homes, graveyards, etc. People might go there to relive some of those memories. In the Amos Powers people would go to the coon dog graveyard to remember the times they had out with their dogs. Or in the Roberta Blackgoat profile where her people refused to move off the land where their people lie. One could research the sorts of connections people have to certain places. Say an old building is about to be destroyed and you read about hundreds of people who stand and protect it. Or of people who gather at one specific place for something. They do what they do because some places we hold in our hearts and connect those places with our memories.


    Following your dreams vs drowning in obsession: following you dreams like many of the people in these profiles is a noble cause as long as you don't let that dream control you. In the Robert Shields profile he became obsessed with his diary to the point where it controlled him. Or the dinosaur profile how the guy spent all of his and his wife's life savings to make his dinosaurs. In the profiles some of the people talked about some of the great things that they've done but what they weren't bound by that one achievement or point of their lives.


    Staying true to yourself and your beliefs: Throughout the history of mankind people has been persecuted based on what they believed. Many would look at the serpent handlers and call then stupid but to them there is nothing stupid about following what's in your heart. In one profile the woman was called a witch but that didn't stop her. We've read about profiles where people worked themselves in to the grave but that didn't stop them. It shows determination and hearts and I think that's a worthy paper subject.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your second topic would be an easy topic to explore in this essay, many things in this book explore that theme.

      Delete
    2. I liked the theme following your dreams vs drowning in obsession! That was a prominent theme in a lot of the profiles in Holding On.

      Delete
  21. FINDING YOUR PASSION IN LIFE: I think everyone in Holding On found their passion. I think it would be interesting to research people in American history and find out what struggles they went through in life to find it.
    THE VALUE OF DIY SKILLS: Many people in Holding On were do it yourself kind of people. It would be cool to look for people/shops that still practice do it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Value of Folk Art: Researching the different types of folk art that we have here, and why we as a society are so fascinated with it. Additionally you could compare folk art from different states to see if there are differences or similarities, and try to find the reasons for them.

    Overlooking the Brave: Look into various jobs that have a high risk involved. You could gather statistics on injuries and deaths that have occurred in one of those jobs, and research the methods the workers have to protect themselves. You can even research what the value the job has to society, and what would happen if no one did that job. Additionally you could research what type of person you have to be to work in a risky field.

    Modern Spirit Quests: Investigate the need people have to leave home in order to find themselves. You could research both modern and historical spirit quests. You could try and find out is certain people are more likely to go on a spirit quest than others, and why. You can look at what makes a journey like this complete, and if there is more than one way you can compare them and see if there is one that is more popular than the other. Additionally you can research how many people that go on a journey like this actually return home when they have finally found themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I iam really interested in your topic about the value of folk art. You could see many examples of folk art in the book and would be a good topic to research.

      Delete
    2. A modern spirit quest is interesting! It's not something that most people would choose to do but learning about it and and reading about it, maybe even experiencing it will be interesting!

      Delete
  23. WAGES FOR WOMEN: Geneva Tisdale is a woman that worked in a diner and due to not only race but gender, was denied money. That being said the only reason that Tisdale believes she was mistreated and underpaid, was that she was African American. This could quite possibly be the case but what I would look into is whether or not it was because perhaps maybe she was a woman as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. VOCATION VS. OCCUPATION: At least half of the profiles consisted of people who did things that they chose to do for themselves instead of something that they would be better off doing, in a financial sense. The main problem in today's society is that there's a lot less freedom to take such risks and less people end up living happily because of that.

    THE NEED FOR HIGHER EDUCATION: I have always believed that the need to go to college has been unnecessary since there is evidence that it is possible. Of course I do understand the risk of the smaller area for success in not going to college, yet again, the people who have succeeded were persistent and dedicated.

    HOLDING ON TO TRADITIONS: People do not hold on to many traditions as they used to before. The amount of family traditions and holding on to family history, in my opinion, has been dwindling in which I can attest to in a personal experience. I feel that it is important to hold on to such family specific traditions in order to remember the ones who've passed it down to us, and who've passed it on to them and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holding on to Tradition is also another theme I like because it nowadays people are losing/forgetting their traditions.

      Delete
  25. Gender Equality:
    There are countless profiles in Holding On that feature men, but there are less that feature women. The women that are fetured have something special about them. Each woman has overcome something, whether its racial recrimination, interdepression, medical school, poverty, etc. It would be great to focus on the roles of women throughout history and how they ave even changed since Holding On has been published to today.

    Staying true to your way of life:
    Both Roberta and Mike were Native-Americans that were struggling to hold on to their old ways of life. It would be interesting to focus on how Native-American have adapted to today and how they still hold on to their old culture.

    ReplyDelete
  26. modern medical treatment vs traditional non-medical treatment.- The profile about Tommy Bass is a "doctor" who uses herbal medicine from treatment. I can research about which is better modern medicine or herbal medicine.

    Passion over money: one of the major themes in holding on is loving what you do, which we don't see that much in today's society. So we can talk about why what has led to such mentality.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.