Part One: Johnny Tocco is an old-fashioned
gym owner that hasn't changed his old-school methods. Johnny stays true
to what he believes is an effective way to train boxers. Big named boxers
came to his gym because they knew they could train hard. I think it is important to remember that
Johnny Tocco has been involved in boxing since he was nine years old. When reading this story I could not help but
think of Mickey from the movie Rocky.
The traditional old fashion trainer that gets upset when women distract
his fighters. I believe that is part of
the theme in this profile. Holding on to
the traditional way of training using the “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it”
type of attitude. The writing is best
when he talks about being called taco by everyone. While reading this part I couldn’t help but
picture the scenario. This profile
relates heavily to our world today. It sometimes
seems like everyone is always trying to improve something or make the next best
thing. In some cases, there is absolutely
nothing wrong with the way it is being done.
I think that we could all learn from Johnny Tocco by finding what we
love to do and doing it well. He has
trained many big named fighters because he found something he was good at and
left well enough alone.
Part Two: I believe that “Steam
Train” Maury Graham was one of the best profiles I read. The story of his life is something we all
want to experience in different ways. It
may not be everyone’s dream to hop on a train.
However, everyone wants to feel that sense of adventure and
freedom. I think that Steam Train got to
experience life in a way very few will ever have a chance too. I think another skill that will follow me is
that in order to be eccentric, you have to be comfortable with yourself. It doesn’t matter what other people think of
you or your dreams. The only person that
needs to be made happy is yourself.
Overall, I enjoyed reading about other peoples unique lives. Some were definitely better than others, but
they represent unique characteristics of our own society. No person is exactly alike and everyone has
something quirky they do or like. Don’t
be ashamed of being different. Show off
who you are and be proud of yourself, because we are all holding on to
something.
I totally agree with you about the fact that people sometimes try to over-perfect things that are good just the way they are. Also, it is totally true that adventure and freedom is something we all want to feel, and Maury Graham was really an inspiration for this. I love how you said that " It doesn’t matter what other people think of you or your dreams. The only person that needs to be made happy is yourself," that rings of utter truth and I think that everyone ought to learn this in grade school, because it's incredibly important to know, especially in this day and age where we have to follow a plotted out path for us in order to be considered 'succesful'.
ReplyDeleteI love how your favorite profile is Maury Graham's. I agree that everyone most likely wants to live that life of freedom and adventure. Who doesn't want to do something they want to do? Things that we do in those moments of freedom I feel like truly define us as human beings. Since, Human Beings are animals and animals deserve to be free (That was a far-fetched statement, I know, but it kind of makes sense to me in a way).
ReplyDelete