Matt Kennedy is the president of the Chamber of Commerce for
Coney Island amusement park. This was a
happening place to be and one of the earliest amusement parks. It was at its heyday in the early 1900’s. He has been through the ups and downs of the
park and is currently faced with the daunting task to bring people to the
park. The park is surround by run-down
welfare houses and crime-ridden neighborhoods.
But if you ask Matt Kennedy it’s still the happiest place on earth. The thing we should most remember from Matt
Kennedy is to never give up on your dream, and that even when you’re faced with
challenges never give up. This is
because he is faced with the daily disappointment of the park falling apart and
very low attendance. But regardless of
this daily discouragement he is still upbeat and willing to keep Coney Island
alive. The theme that I saw would be
when faced with hardship you cannot give up if you want to keep your dream or
passion alive. The last paragraph is the
best writing I believe, and it really shows Matt’s passion for Coney
Island. Especially his quote, “When you’re
born with sand in your shoes, it remains with you as long as you live.” I guess I’ll always have sand in my shoes”
(162). This gives the reader a visual
representation of what it means to be Matt and makes us really feel for him and
Coney Island. It relates to our world
today because people don’t appreciate the good ole days. So many places that were the place to be in
the early 1900’s are now closing up or are already closed. It shows how people don’t appreciate
tradition and they will much rather choose modern amusement and forget about
the classics.
There are two things that I am taking away from Holding
On. The first is to hold on to tradition
and not let the past wash away. Too many
iconic places in America are being torn down or just forgotten altogether. People are not entertained today by things of
the past and this causes the places to erode into time. This is such a great loss for culture and society
and this book really shines a light on this great injustice. The second ideal that I took from holding is
the idea of being a visionary. I did not
really understand this word before we finished this book. But now I see it is someone that has a dream
and works their whole life and experiences great obstacles and scarified to
achieve their vision. So many characters
in this book never gave up and experienced many setbacks until they saw their
vision in real life.
i completely understand the need to save our local landmarks. For example i have been going to Tommy's Pizza and Phillips Coney Island my whole life. If those two local restaurants were to disappear part of my culture would be gone as well. The biggest thing you can leave the reader of Holding On with is to hold onto something that you can not imagine being gone from your life.
ReplyDelete