Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Journal Six: Gene Creighton

Charlie Deleo is someone who I feel like should be looked up to. From the age of 9 he had a dream to go into the crown of the statue of liberty and when he was older he made that dream not only a reality but a career. It takes a lot of guts to climb that statue and do the things he does but that's what makes him not only a dreamer but an eccentric. What i feel we should take away from this profile is that no matter what your dream may be it is possible to reach it. Just like Charlie Deleo did, he had a dream and in the end he was working his dream job. The theme that stood out to me would be to be courageous. Deleo shows courage on a daily basis while working on the statue of liberty, not to mention when the people started busting out the windows he did his best to stop them without getting himself hurt. Just to confront those people shows courage. So courage I think is a fitting theme for this profile. The profile of Charlie Deleo obviously relates to the world we live in today because we still have the statue of liberty. With that being said we still have people who work there and do the things he did if he isn't still doing it himself.

Overall from my reading of Holding On the two main values or ideals that stuck out to me the most would be to follow your dreams, from Donald Bean (the dinosaur guy) and also to hold on to history, from Z. L. Hill ( riverside hotel). It is important to follow your dreams and also to hold onto history because it is important to remember what happened in the world before you existed.  I really enjoyed the book although i found some people to be less interesting than others but overall I really like Holding On.

4 comments:

  1. I agree completely with you about Charlie Deleo being a courageous and eccentric person. There is no way I could climb on the statue of liberty daily and protect the statue the way that he does. I also agree with you about an overall value being to follow your dreams. Deleo is a very good example of following his dreams being as he had the dream to be apart of the statue from the first time he ever saw it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. William i enjoyed reading your blog post very much. Charlie Deleo was another one of my favorite person in Holding On. He was really living his dream as you said in your post, and he was so happy and honored to be working on such a great American Icon. This is relevant because Liberty Island is still around, and if it were not like people such as Charlie that have such a great passion for his job it may have not been around today.

    Your ideal that you pointed out about following your dream, I believe you hit the nail on the head. So many individuals in holding on followed their dream and couldn't be happier. This is something that more Americans should do, and if they do it will lead to a much better society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gene, I agree with you that Deleo is a very courageous. I think that in addition to the theme of courage, you could add patriotism. When I read the part where Deleo tried to stop the people from damaging the Statue of Liberty I kept thinking that he was a true patriot. He wasn’t just protecting the statue, he was protecting what it stands for, freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gene! Thanks for the interesting insight! I agree that the courage Deleo shows is something that should be implemented in our own lives. We should show courage and attack our dreams and do what we love!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.