Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Journal 7 by Gene Creighton

Part 1:
Although many people seem to have important and interesting roles in the book the one that sticks out to me the most would be Dr. Sasaki. This man started working on people as soon as he was able to. As he saw the flash of the bomb he had no clue what was going to happen, in fact all he could do was what he said himself, "Be  brave."  Right after the explosion he went and tended to the chief surgen and after that started to help as many people as he could with the tools and medicine that remained unharmed. So far seeing how Dr. Sasaki reacted to the situation and got to work right away you can tell that he is a selfless man. He didn't stop to make sure he was okay although thankfully he was. He cared about the well being of others and that really showed in chapter two. At first he worked on people as he got to them, but later after seeing the people pouring in to the hospital he worked like a mad man, after he started to get burnt out he started to work on the one who were hurt the most rather than the ones with minor cuts or bruises.

Part 2:
In the book the people who lived in Hiroshima were obviously very confused at what had happened and by reading some of the theory's or misconceptions that were going around made me curious, what else did they think happened? For example many people thought that the Americans sent a "molotov flower basket" which is a scattering of bombs. Another one from the book was that some people thought that the Americans flew over them and poured gas on them and then lit them on fire.So that made me curious what else did they think or what other misconceptions had gone around besides those two. After doing some research I wasn't able to find anymore misconceptions but I did find this, the people who survived the bomb didn't know what kind of bomb it was until 2 or 3 weeks after the war had ended. All they knew was that it was not the normal type of bomb seeing how much damage it had caused. I found that to be pretty interesting and I put myself into there shoes. After having the bomb drop and to not know what kind of bomb it was or if there were going to be more of them would leave you scared and pa
ranoid. Or maybe that's just me?

2 comments:

  1. In all honesty, I completely forgot about Dr.Sasaki, though now that I have read your post, I must admit that he was an incredibly important figure in Hiroshima. He really did take care of all the hurt, in an utterly unselfish way. He truly ought to be more admired. I also wondered the same thing you did about the Japanese were thinking when it happened. I too found the Molotov cocktail interesting, though I do think you could of done some research as to what they believed outside of the book, I enjoyed your idea and your spin on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I really liked when he told him self to be brave. It was crazy that he thought the explosion was local to the hospital and not city wide until the people started flooding into the hospital for help. I felt for him as he was so tired and worried about his mother worrying about him.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.