Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Journal 6 by Garrett Coppler

     Augustina Martînez is a miracle maker, or so she believes. What I found interesting is that she attributes different things to different parts of her body. With her hands there is a cross that shows that she has miracle hands. Her eyes, depending on the color, tell if there is danger. She also says she can see when people are lying. I found this interesting because it seems that spiritual or people who focus on things that can't be normally explained are fading out. Most people now need a scientific understanding, something people like this cannot be explained. One section in this profile that stood out the most to me was the final quote at the end. " 'God will put somebody in my place. He sent me here, he'll get somebody else.' Because it's a miracle that God put me here. Don't you think?"
   
     This book was completely different from what I thought it would be when I first opened the pages. It surprised me that I enjoyed reading about all these different profiles. I particularly enjoyed the profiles that had jobs or dreams that were fading away. They held onto what the loved to do, and found a way to get by. I also enjoyed the eccentric profiles, these were always the most rememberable. Donald Bean and Miles Mahan were the most interesting to read. How they acted, or what they were obsessed with made a fun profile. I think why I liked these two types of profiles the best was that they pulled you in and really let you know who was being interviewed. With those who had old jobs that were slowly fading you could tell they loved it and wished to be back in the heyday of that job. With the eccentrics they showed their personality easily and quickly, even through pictures. I feel like I already know some of these people without even meeting them.

4 comments:

  1. Jacob i could not agree with you more about the theme of holding onto thaw fading professions. This is truly saddening, these jobs built this country. We are quickly leaving them in the past, this is our history and culture. If we do not hold onto these jobs i believe we will lose our own identity and culture in the process. Once we lose these traits what has our country become?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garrett I agree with you when you say that people are starting to question everything in their life or need scientific evidence to explain why something is happening. People need to understand that somethings in life just can not be explained and you have to live with it. In the case of Augustina Martinez she believed that god sent her as a prophet and she just went out and helped people didn't question it at all. Also in my opinion I thought Donald Bean was one of the profiles that I believed didn't really see the real meaning of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garrett, I agree with you when you said that sentence really stood out among the profile. Augustina was very adamant that she was here from God and not a witch that does evil. I think that she looks at herself as someone who was put on earth to help others. I also did not know what to expect when reading this book. I think that the profiles that discussed the past really missed the good times. I think this book did a good job of bringing each character to life with such short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Garret! Thanks for your interesting insight into the Augustina profile. This book has been very interesting and has had some very different people and profile. Reading about these people and looking at these pictures really engaged you into the book. These are people that I would want to meet in real life if they are still around.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.