Friday, March 13, 2015

Journal 6 - Lorenzo Palma

Hinkle Schillings and Shade Pete



Hinkle Schillings and Shade Pete are Fox Hunters. They both own, at the time of the interview, owned a total of 20 hounds who they brought along with them on their hunts. They have spent a lot of time with the dogs so much to the point that they are able to distinguish the differences in the dog's voices, figuring out the different tonnages of the dog's barks. They were able to tell which of their dogs were closer to their game than the others. Hinkle and Shade show us how to remember the times we spend with others, and for Hinkle and Shade, it was their dogs. Their times with their dogs they really cherished them. They could talk about all their past dogs and things they experienced with those dogs. It was really inspiring how they were just naming off these different dogs and would always be able to instantly connect a memory with that certain dog. I feel like in this current world we don't enjoy other's company as much as we should and it should be that we cherish our times with our friends and families instead of being focused on other unnecessary things.

Holding On



What I've learned to take away from the book is the fact that first, do thing that you love to do. No matter what the reason, religious, passion, inheritance - Do the thing that you love doing. I've noticed that people live life happier this way. The purpose of life is not to drone through it and do things just be cause "you have to." It's more important to love what you're doing and do things because "you want to." These people smile in their pictures because they are doing what they love. Second, is that people need to remember the things that really truly define us. This, going along with doing what you love, sometimes people forget these things and in some ways, forget what defines their true identity.

2 comments:

  1. I very much agree with your analysis that the purpose of life isn't just to drone through it because you have too. As it turns out, life isn't so much a chore as it is a privilege we all get to share. Being happy in the things we have done and the lives we have led makes it all the better. I think you're right that most people forget this and what defines them becomes the sadness and unhappiness that they showed. I am glad you chose to talk about the overall theme that i picked up on too. I think David Isay really hit that theme very well. Happiness may not have been what he was intending when he started; but it might well have been. Either way, I'm glad we got the chance to read this book and get this unique perspective on the world around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree whole heartedly with the first sentence of the second paragraph. If you wake up each morning to a job that you simply do not like or enjoy, then that's not really living and loving life in my opinion. I really enjoyed the first piece of writing when you were talking about Schillings and Pete. I personally thought that this story started out to be the mod interesting. The fact that at the time, owning 20 hound dogs is incredible. Never been much of a dog person so I could only imagine. Great work man!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.