Friday, March 13, 2015

Journal VI


Journal VI

 

            Part one

The profile I’m writing about is Amos Powers the tour guide of the Key Underwood coon dog memorial graveyard in Colbert country, Alabama. In this profile people could bring true full-blooded coon dogs to this graveyard to be buried in a place of honor. Not just any household pet could be buried there.  A theme I picked up from reading this profile is a remembering the fallen theme. These dogs were like soldiers in a way, they had a duty and when their time was up they were given a special place to be laid to rest. A con for the writing style I could find was in the profile it doesn’t really use many first person statements on the Amos powers himself just a sentence here and there. A profile I felt would be good to read either before or after this profile would be the Hinkel Schillings and Shade Pete profile. They talked about their coon dogs and how each was different. In both profiles these dogs were family and they did something great and they wanted a special place for them. Today I don’t know if there are graveyards for specific kinds of animal companions.

            Part two

            While reading holding on a value I picked on is determination. In my profiles these people had some sort of dream and were determined to see it through. In the profile about Father Louis Grievings kept building the ghetto even though he knew he wouldn’t finish it within his life time. Another profile that’s an example of determination is would be the serpent holders. Even though the people were bitten all the time by these poisoness snakes they were still determined to keep there religious beliefs alive. The profiles in Holding on remind you if you have a dream you must be determined to see it through.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post Deshawn. I too picked up on the theme of determination. Throughout this book, it seems that although these people are holding on to something that is special to them, it is almost like they are determined to hold onto it until they pass away and pass it along to the next generation of their family. I also enjoyed reading the first part about Mr. Powers. When I read this story in the book, I had to go back and read it again because I was confused by what exactly he was trying to hold on to. I really liked the comparison between the fallen dogs and soldiers. In his eyes, these were truly like soldiers that had passed away. Great work.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.