Monday, January 26, 2015

Journal 3 by Cory Eversole


So far I am enjoying all the stories. There really have not been any stories that I did not find interesting in some way. The main strength of this book is the author did not pick the usual suspects for dreamers, visionaries and eccentrics. David Isay really dug deep into society to find these unsung Hero’s. These are just normal every day people that have lived extraordinary lives. I have not found any weaknesses so far. When I read these stories I do not look at the picture of the person until after I read. I like to paint my own image in my head of what they look like, and most often I am completely wrong. By doing this I am able to fully read and try to understand the profiles without judging bias of the person. 

The most relatable theme that I have seen so far to my life would be response to risk and the results. Everyone has a time in their life where they were afraid to take a risk and worried what would happen if it turned out poorly for them. The main focus of my life right now is being a successful power-lifter. It is all I think about day in and day out. I think about what I am going to do the next time I am with my coach. What I will change and what I need to keep the same. In this sport you takes risks every day. For example the first real test that I faced when I first started in the sport was the squat lift. It is one of the main 3 lifts in a typical power-lifting event. And for me it was always a weak area for myself. I was always weak in the area and never thought I would ever reach my dream of squatting over 405 pounds. Before I stepped under the bar to perform the lift that number would flash before my eyes. For a second I would be afraid but then, as I got more comfortable with the lift I used that fear to push myself. The squat is a very technical workout, any lapse in focus or form could cause an accident and with heavy weight that could mean severe injury.  My coach was aware of my fears and would make little games for me by putting on weight and wouldn’t let me know the number. She herself held over a dozen world records in the 132-pound weight class during the late 1980s. Because in her words, “the number means nothing, it only distracts you”. The first time I ever got 405 pounds my coach told me a white lie and said there was less than I thought on the bar.  So just like every other time that number flashed before my eyes. I got the bar set on my back, tensed every muscle I could and un-racked the weight.  I thought to myself “dang this is feeling heavy today”. Before I descended I thought “405,405,405”. The first rep felt great so I went for another and then another. I stood up on the last rep and set the bar back.  Before I knew it my coach was hugging me telling me what I had just done. I was so happy and shocked, weighing a meager 170 pounds myself I never thought I could reach that level and with my coaches help, those risks and fears were surpassed three individual times. I took a risk by trusting that my coach had my best interest in mind. After this I was hooked to the sport. I am now forever chasing that next goal, with my dream of breaking a world record always in the back of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.