In the very out of the box book Holding
On, I have found myself to enjoy this book very much. I wasn’t really sure what this book was going
to be like because of the various images on the front and the vague description
on the front as well. So far the reading
is going great. Each person has a new
story to bring to the table that is very strange yet fascinating. The strengths of the book include imagery and
a certain form of a guessing game.
Imagery with all of the different and unique faces represented
throughout the book, but a guessing game in the sense of every person is
different. Each person has a story or a
preferred lifestyle that is different. As of now there truly isn’t any obvious
weaknesses in the book, just eager to continue reading. Throughout the course of this book I have ben
actively reading. Underlining with pen
important areas of the book as well as interesting dialogue and sentences that
have meaning. Also, every now and then I
like to look up these people on the internet to see what they are up to now or
if they are still alive and well.
A big theme
that I see throughout the book so far was this idea of unfairness and
injustice. Even though not all stories
end with being arrested or in federal prison, a lot of them deal with the
injustice of life and the blatant disregard for some people’s well being. For example you have Moreese Bickham who
dealt with the unfairness of racism and was thrown in jail for protecting
himself. Then you have a hobo who is
trying to make an honest living who in reality does just that but in his own
way, being treated or looked down upon because he is considered a “bum”. A lot of times we tend to judge a book by its
cover and with Maury Graham, that’s what unfortunately a lot of people
did.
There was a
time in my life where I was the one who unfortunately was on the judging end of
the spectrum. I was in high school and
there was a new kid who came and I was asked by one of the deans to spend time
with him, and to make sure that he felt comfortable and to just have him shadow
me for a few days until he felt safe and got the hang of things. The guy had piercings all over and was someone
that was constantly starred at while we walked through the halls. I remember thinking to myself that this guy
probably was strange, weird, and hard to get along with solely off of his
looks. This prejudging was wrong and
unfair to him. I was at the balcony one day
with a couple buddies of mine and the guy came over because we were headed to
my next class. As we were leaving one of
my friends shouted “Cam that kid’s scary watch out.” At that moment I knew that I was wrong in how
I felt. I felt unjust, that I hadn’t given
him a fighting chance right out of the gate.
For the remainder of the year were friends and till this day although he
attends Wyoming college, we still keep and touch and I have learned to always give
someone a chance to warm up to you before you judge.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.