Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Journal Three ~ Shannon Shenefield

Part One
            So far the readings are going very well. I have found the reading to be both entertaining and insightful. Every time I finish a profile, I have to pause for a moment and just let everything I've read sink in. Some of these life stories are so unique that I often find myself thinking they are works of fiction. There are a lot of strengths in this book. In my opinion one of the key strengths of the book is the fact that the profiles are written in different styles. The only weaknesses that I have noticed in the book are the length of some of the stories, and the fact that we don’t get to know what has happened to a lot of these people. For me, the strategy that I use the most in my active reading is to underline/highlight key ideas, interesting parts, and or parts that are confusing to me. Additionally I almost always make notes in the margins while I’m reading.
Part Two
            In this book there are a variety of different themes. The theme that I connect to the most is that of family. This theme is best shown in Roberta Blackgoat’s profile. She has had to fight countless battles to stay connected to her family, ancestors, and her family history. I think that it is very important to stay connected with your family, your ancestors, and your family history.
            This theme has always been present in my life, but I never really noticed it until the death of my great-grandpa. I was young at the time and didn't know him very well, but I remember that after the funeral my family spent hour’s just telling stories from the past. It seemed to me that everyone was having a good time, but when my uncle asked about my great-great-great-grandfather (my grandpa’s great-grandfather) the mood changed. My grandpa sighed and told us that he didn't remember anything about him. He said, “Those stories are lost to us now.” Those words really were what made me realize that I wanted to know more about my family. I think it is important to know where you come from, and more importantly who you come from. A lot of my family history is lost because those who remember it are dead, but my goal is to try and discover as much as I can, so that I can be more connected to my family.


            

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.