Wednesday, January 14, 2015


Hunter and myself fall 2014
First I would like to introduce myself. I am Amy Scarborough, I grew up in Marengo, Ohio and went to Highland High School, I graduated way back in 2006. I am going back to school to pursue a career in Nursing. My ultimate goal is to obtain my master's degree in Nursing either as a Nurse Practitioner in the acute care setting (hospital) or as a nursing educator in the classroom. I just purchased my first home in Delaware with my boyfriend and our two dogs (Toby and Bugsy). I work at Ohio State Medical Center in the Ross Heart Hospital. They pay my tuition and I get experience in nursing, so it is a win-win. I love to travel, I have yet to go out of the country with the exception of Mexico and Canada but I am planning a trip to Peru this July, that I am really excited about!

So far I have enjoyed reading the profiles in Holding On. What struck me as most interesting was how "put together" Mr. Graham was. He presented himself as a smart man with a solid work ethic. I think that opened my eyes to my own stereotypes of what I thought all hobos were like. I enjoyed learning about the two varieties of where exactly the word 'hobo' originated from and the big difference in bums and hobos.
A quote I found on hobo.com aligned with Maury's opinion on what a hobo is. It reads a hobo wanders and works, a tramp wanders and dreams and a bum neither wanders or works. I gained a new respect for hobos. They still work hard to survive, and they don't get caught up in obtaining things or meeting deadlines; but rather spend their life exploring. I think it would take a lot of guts to be a hobo.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you're utterly amazing to be pursuing a career in nursing, for it's a very demanding field. Congratulations on purchasing your home! I've also enjoyed reading the profiles in Holding On, and I have to agree with you on how Mr.Graham was utterly the opposite of what we tend to think of when we think of a hobo. I never realized that they don't get caught up in deadlines and those little things we get caught up in, that's truly admirable. And I agree, being a hobo takes a lot of bravery!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.