Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Exploration 3: Lily Eldadah

Most of the time when teachers assign books to read in class I'm disappointed because I don't really like to read, but for Mike Lohre's class he always seems to pick enjoyable books. So far the book Holding on is a wonderful, fast read, and I have really enjoyed reading the few profiles we have been assigned. I would say the biggest strength of Holding on  is that the profiles are short, allowing the readers to be able to stay concentrated and not get distracted or lose focus while reading the profiles. Plus the profiles are full of detail, which I also enjoy. One weakness of this book, is also that the profiles are short. While they keep the reader entertained and focused, the profiles keep the reader wonder What happens next? What happened before? After? 

One theme that I could relate to is: Connection to ancestors and history. As I have previously stated in my first and second exploration I am Palestinian and I am very proud of my culture and my heritage. I have had the privileged to travel to the Middle East and specifically to Palestine and was able to see the place where my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents grew up. Along with the privilege of seeing old historical places such as The Dome of the Rock and Al-Aqsa Mosque. These were the most beautiful mosques I had ever been to. They were both so beautifully constructed, with beautiful scenery. Being there and being able to pray with everyone else that believed in the same religion as me, made me feel like I was part of this country. I felt connected to the people, and I felt like I fit in. After visiting Jerusalem we decided to visit Gaza, Palestine. Since Palestinians (Along with Israelis) believe that Jerusalem is their holy city, my family and I visited Jerusalem and then tried to travel to Gaza, Palestine, where my grandparents, uncles, and aunts lived. It was very hard to get into Gaza because it is considered "unsafe" and Americans should not be allowed to enter, in fear that we get hurt or stuck there, but my family and I were willing to risk getting hurt or stuck, to be able to see my mom's side of the family. The Israelis finally let us in but we were only able to stay for a week. Seeing my grandma for the first time was probably the best moment of my life. She is the sweetest, kindest, down to earth lady I have ever met and it broke my heart to only be able to spend one week with her. But for the week that my family and I were able to spend with my mom's side of the family, I got to experience life there in Palestine, along with their daily routines. This experience connected me to my ancestors (grandparents and great grandparents) and also to my history and heritage because they were places I had never seen or been to that were connected to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.