The book that I am currently reading is Holding On by David Isay and Harvey Wang. The reading has been quite an enjoyable experience for me personally. I really enjoy the interview style of the book and It makes it nice that the stories are fairly short so it makes it easier to read over the profile a couple times and remember the themes and ideas form the story. Also I enjoy the people that are featured in the book. They are a group of characters that could be considered weird or strange, but I would like to use the books definition of these people as dreamers, visionaries, and eccentrics. What little weaknesses the book has I would have to say that one of them is how some of the profiles end, some of them seem like they do not tie up the loose ends of the story and can more or less end very abruptly. A strategy that I deploy when I am reading through these profiles is using sticky note tabs to underline, or book mark important passages of the reading. All in all I have enjoyed reading this book.
A theme that I can personally relate to as prompted from the worksheet is learning how or why to laugh in life. There once was a time when my sister and I were still in school, I was in grade school and my sister was in junior high. We were already running late for school so we rushed out the door still eating and carrying our book bags and our mom pulls the door shut as she follows us. She is going to drop us off at school like we do every morning. Well as my sister and I raced each other to get to the passenger side door so one of us could ride shot gun my mom followed close behind digging around for her keys in her purse. Then my sister and I heard moms tone change, "o great" sighed mom. We both gave mom a perplexing look wondering why she hadn't unlocked the door yet. "How in the world did I forget those! I use them every morning! Same thing every day! How could I have locked the keys in the house"! So I checked the front door making sure we be chance didn't lock it, but sure enough it was locked. My sister tried the back door thinking that it may be unlocked but that was locked too. My mom tried retrieving the spare key but as you guessed the the spare key was missing. So we all met around the car again to come up with a new plan. We huddled together and mom said "alright I have one more plan but is is going to involve some team work". She went over to our first story windows and jiggled one, locked. Went to the last one, said a little prayer and tried opening it; it opened. Jumping up and down my mom told my sister and I to come over to the window. She said "now what we are about to do should only be used if it is an emergency like this. Zach you are going to stand on mine and your sisters knees and climb into the window". So my sister and my mom got down on one knee and had there other legs up so that I could use them as a step stool. Burglar mode activated! I proceeded to climb onto the man made step stool and sure enough I climbed right through the window and into the house! So I ran to the front door still in amazement that I just broke into my own home! I unlocked the door and my mom steps in saying "great job sweety! Good team work guys"! As we were walking back to the car all laughing about the adventure we just had we didn't even realize how late we were going to be for school, but it didn't matter we laughed it off saying how we felt like we were breaking into our own home! This story is a perfect example of how sometimes we get ourselves into some tricky situations that can make a lot of people mad and ruin there day. But we learned a very valuable lesson that day. Some times you just need to laugh things off and not let it ruin your day! To this day we still talk about the time I had to climb through the window! From that day fourth we kept the lesson close that sometimes you just need to laugh!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.