The theme
that I believe most pertains to my life is obsessive behavior and its results.
This theme pertains to the story of Father Louis H. Greving. The way that
Greving goes about building the grotto and portraying the life of Christ in
stone for Father Doberstein, after he had passed, comes about like an obsession. He works day in and
day out on the grotto and his results have been quite incredible. He explained
in the story that when he started, the Grotto of Bethlehem and the Grotto of
Nazareth were not built. But now he has eight grottos today. This story shows
the obsessive behavior that Greving had in working as hard as he could in order
to get the best results. It shows how passionate he was about the grottos and
mostly his dedication to them. This reminds me of myself in terms of my high
school years. My sophomore year, our basketball team was probably the best it
has been since the year the girls went to state in 2004. The summer before my sophomore year, I was
honored to be the 7th player to come off the bench. I worked very hard in our
scrimmages and our tournaments in the summer to earn a spot on varsity and even
harder to get my roll and be able to play with the team as a sophomore. About
two weeks into my volleyball season, everything changed when I was in an
accident that caused me to break my neck. I had missed the rest of my
volleyball season and about a month and a half of my basketball season, which
devastated me. I had lost my spot on varsity and even when I came back
mid-season, I still wasn’t the same player I was before the accident. The
summer going into my junior year is when I decided to devote as much time as I
could into becoming a better player then I was even before the accident. I
spent everyday in the gym shooting and working out in the weight room to get my
strength back. My junior year I got my first starting position on varsity and
we were able to make it to regionals. The dedication and obsession that I had
going into my junior year to get a starting spot and to get my strength and
skills back is what reminds me of the dedication Father Greving had when it
came to building the grottos. The results that Greving had with the grottos were
incredible and I’m sure Father Dobberstein would be very happy with the dedication
and obsession that Greving had with building them. I know that after my season
was over and the trophies came out in the end, I was very happy with the results and that I
had dedicated myself in something that really meant a lot to me.
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Exploration 3 from Mandy Lilly
The reading
for Holding On is honestly a lot more interesting than I had thought it would
be. The stories of the people that are in the book are all so different and
interesting. I think that’s one of the biggest strengths of the book. The
stories of these people are all so different and it gives you some insight of
how different people live/lived their lives compared to your own. I think one of
the weaknesses is the way it jumps around with all the different stories. I
believe that at the end of each story it should maybe explain what happened to
that person and where they are at now, as a closure. When I am reading Holding On I like to
write down a few points about each story. Things like where it was, who it was,
and what their significance is in being in the book. This helps me so that I
don’t forget who is who and what their story is about when I come back and look
at it later. If I don't use this technique when I am reading it makes it more difficult for me to remember what happened in that story. Which would result in me reading it over again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.