Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Exploration Two from Garrett Coppler

My name is Garrett Coppler and I’m a Pseo student from Pleasant High school. Next year I plan to attend OSU main campus while majoring in Chemical Engineering. Other than this class this semester I’m taking a 20th century Europe class along with a couple of classes at my high school. In the winter I enjoy to snowboard at Mad River.
            I found Maury Graham’s whole profile interesting in regards to his experiences as a hobo. I found it particularly interesting that hobos care about the difference between hobos and bums. I considered them the same thing, so it was interesting to hear that there was a difference from an insider. I also found it interesting that Maury started at such a young age, and that other hobos tried to turn him away from that life. I had heard about hobo markings on houses, but hearing what they mean was also interesting.

            Out of all the links I found the one about hobo art to be the most interesting. First the handles and the door knocker seem really cool to me in the way it keeps the railroad spikes still noticeable but turns them into something useful. I also really liked the wooden chains that were functional and completely carved out of wood.
The wooden chains in this picture include fully carved out chains and balls that have been carved out of the inside of the wood.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Garrett! I checked the same website. You need to look at the section on hobo symbols. You've probably seen some yourself and never knew what they were! Also a good book you need to check out that relates to traveling around the country with nothing. Scratch Beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the 20th century Europe class like? I was going to take it, but it didn't fit in my schedule. I've never been snowboarding, though I would love to try (it looks a tad scary though! I think I would fall flat on my face!). I agree with you, Mr.Graham's profile was extremely interesting, I feel it made the hobo world seem human. I also thought a lot about how adamant Mr.Graham was to show the difference between hobos and bums, though I think I understand, it must be awfully dehumanizing to be compared to someone who you know is vastly different from you and who doesn't even try.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.