Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Exploration Two from Kendra Lykins

 My name is Kendra Lykins and I am 18 and a freshman here at The Ohio State University, Marion. I am from Sycamore, Ohio and graduated last year from Mohawk High School. I plan on majoring in Health Sciences with a minor in Psychology. A fun fact about myself would be that after receiving my Bachelor's Degree in Health Science, I hope to continue on to get my Master's in Occupational Therapy and go to work with children.

Senior picture, 2014

After reading Maury Graham's profile, I realized that there is a lot more to the hobo culture than I ever would have imagined. One of the most interesting things that struck me was where the name hobo may have originated from. Both came from the ending -bo which meant man, and it talked about how the ho- could have came from either a greeting ho meaning hello or from the fact that they would always carry a hoe on their backs to help with garden work. I also never realized that there was a difference between a bum and hobo until reading Graham's profile.

I did my research on Steam Train Maury's obituary, I thought it was really interesting that he lived his whole life as a hobo, going door to door to work for food. However, he started his life as an Army medical technician in World War II. He then also decided to calm down after while and get married and eventually even have children.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/23/us/23graham.html?_r=1&


2 comments:

  1. It's pretty cool how the name "Hobo" was actually split up between the two different parts "Ho-" and "-bo". I always knew that "-bo" meant a person but never thought of it being related to the whole origination of the name "hobo"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kendra, I have never heard of Sycamore, Oh or Mohawk High school (Which is a really cool name for a high school). Where are those located? I'm from central columbus primarily Dublin which is a suburb of columbus. A degree in Psychology sounds like a really interesting major.

    I also read Steam Trains Obituary and found it very interesting and full of fun facts. I never knew that massive culture that existed in the hobo culture. I also found the origins of the word Hobo to be extremely intriguing, and were things that i never knew until reading the book and the obituary.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.