Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Exploration Two Johana Langova




This is me in a village in Moravia, where most Czech fairy tales are filmed...it's like the equivalent of being in Disney!

My name is Johana Langova, I was born in Brno, Moravia which is a part of the Czech Republic. I'm 19, and I'm planning to double major in Linguistics and International Relations. I can hula hoop for over five minutes, I guess that's my fun fact. I also really like to sing for fun and shoot with my bow, though I rarely have time for that. Also I strongly dislike onion rings and popcorn, can't stand them.

The throwing of the pebbles onto the ground was what I found the most interesting about "Steam Train" Maury Graham's profile. I also really enjoyed reading about all the culture the hobo's had, I always thought that hobo's had a culture, but I never thought that they were like family. I thought that was adorable, and thoroughly made the stereotypes crash. I found it funny how he talked down the bums, though I think that would be understandable. It's unfair to hobo's to be put in the same bin as bums. I also looked at the Hobo Museum, and I must say that I would absolutely love to visit it. It looks lovely,  and it's astounding to see how much  culture the hobo's have. I also then looked around the page, and found it to be extremely interesting with the Westbound listings, which made me a bit sad, since I realized that the hobos would never have a proper headstone and that their families (if they had any) probably wouldn't be able to say goodbye. I believe that it's important to understand the importance of hobos and of the other groups who are hidden around, because though we don't see them, they're still an integral part of our culture.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Johana it is so cool that you know how to shoot a bow and hula hoop for 5 minutes. I also found it very interesting how hobos communicated with each other. Throwing pebbles to tell the other hobos to tell them that you are a hobo yourself was really interesting, I agree with you about putting hobos and bums in the same category is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Johana,
    I also thought that it was nice that the hobo community was so close. I agree with you that the hobo culture is important for everyone to know about, and I wish it was something that was better known. Like you, I think it would be fascinating to visit the Hobo Museum, but I would be even more interested to meet a hobo and hear his/her story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Johana! I liked how you mentioned the westbound listings and how some hobos never had proper headstones. This made me think of a connection between the dangers of hobo culture and soldiers in any war that are reported MIA. Both types of people are living an alternate lifestyle that have components of danger linked to them. This connection is very relevant to what you also said about the importance of understanding and appreciating hobo culture. There are aspects of hobo life that are still applicable today. There are still people that drift from one place to the next, but the way they do it now is different. There is always evolution and progression through history, so I would agree that hobos and their culture are still an integral part of our culture today.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.