Hi my name is Bryan and I am
currently majoring in Social Work with a minor in Criminology and Substance
Misuse and Addiction. My goal is to graduate from Marion OSU with my
Bachelor’s degree and I hope to find employment in the probation or substance
abuse prevention field. A fun fact about myself is that I used to be
an ambulance driver for Stofcheck ambulance and I used to go to 911 calls in
LaRue. This was a unique experience for me during each and every shift. I always enjoy
meeting new people and am always up for new experiences.
![]() |
| A picture of me! |
What struck me as most interesting
in Maury Graham’s profile was that most of the Hobos felt that they were
completely separate from bums and held an almost completely different outlook
when it came to the Hobo’s values. When "Steam Train"
spoke about the Hobo culture he was sure to explain that unlike “bums” Hobos
worked to earn their living and did not just expect a handout. I also found
it interesting when he told the stories about the origin of the word
Hobo. The fact the Hobos used symbols to identify houses was very
interesting and inventive. I also thought it was unique that Hobos used
pebbles to identify with other Hobos. I
had heard the term Hobo used many times throughout my life and had only seen
the cliché version of the Hobo. I had absolutely
no clue before reading this story that being a Hobo was almost like belonging
to a completely different culture than the rest of society.
When I watched the Vice clip I
could not help but thinking that that would be such a scary, yet amazing
adventure to embark on. When they hopped
on the rear engine I was thinking that they must be crazy! The Vice episode really highlighted how
difficult it is to hop a train in today's society without getting caught by the "bull" and threatened with jail. The Wikipedia page for Maury “Steam Train” had a link to a different video of The Last of the Hobo Kings and this version had some
violinists playing which was a pretty awesome version of the song. I got curious about the language and the
symbols they used while I was researching, so I looked up some pretty informative
sites and thought I would share.
Hobo symbols that were commonly used.
Terms that were commonly used.

Hello Bryan I found it very interesting that you wish to pursue a major in criminology and social work. That to me would seem to be an extremely rewarding career path, and open you up to meeting many interesting people. Also your fun fact about you being an ambulance driver was awesome. That also seems like a rewarding job.
ReplyDeleteThe part where you talked about steam trains explanation of the differences between hobos and bums was quite interesting. I also talked about the concept of differences in my blog post. I also enjoyed when you talked about the types of symbols the hobos used. I never knew that the hobos actually seemingly created a hobo language. That goes to show that the hobos are an extremely underrated group of people. You mentioned the vice movie, and I plan to watch that soon. It seems like a really cool/ interesting video with a great look into the hobo culture.
Your fun fact about you being an ambulance driver is very cool! I feel like that would be a fun but also scary job at the same time. When I was doing my own research about hobos I had also found a different site that had talked about the "bulls" that would ride along on the trains and try to stop the hobos. Some of the information that I had read was very sad and scary. I still can't believe what the hobos would go through daily because of their love of riding trains. Thinking of doing that nowadays is crazy! I'll likely stick to driving my car during my lifetime!
ReplyDelete