Part One: I enjoy the reading in this class, it isn't a drab textbook. The readings are short and to the point. They showcase interesting people from all over the country who in my opinion would otherwise be forgotten, looked over and not appreciated. The only weakness is the book is published in 1996. The stories are still relatable, the only issue I have with that is I would like to know how these people are doing and where they are at now in life, because almost twenty years has passed. With the stories being interesting and easy to read it is certainly easier to stay active in your reading. I do underline text as I read that I like or find important.
Part Two: Holding on presents many of life themes. I can in some way relate to almost all of the people that share their stories. I admire all of them and their overall courage and compassion to stick with their visions. The theme that most relates to me and my current life situation is taking risk.
I am a non-traditional student, as I am 26 years old. There are many other things I would rather be doing with my life then attending school full time. Many of my friends are finishing up master's degrees and traveling the world. And here I sit in cold Marion, Ohio, back in college. My dad always told me do the things you have to do now so you can do the things you want to do later.
I was twenty three years old with a good career in insurance. I was a district recruiter for Farmer's Insurance. I recruited professionals in the Columbus area who were interested in starting their own company selling insurance and financial products. I made salary and commission with bonuses. I was chasing money money money...but I wasn't happy. I dreaded work. I did not feel like I was making a difference. It was stressful, I was getting calls well into dinner time from prospects. I wanted my life back. And I knew although this career was comfortable, I couldn't see myself doing it for the rest of my life.
I had always wanted to be a nurse or in the medical profession. So I decided to quit my job and obtain an entry level job in the medical field. I took a job at OSU Medical Center, and with the position took a hefty pay cut. I had to learn how to live on a much smaller salary. This isn't the end of the world, but it definitely takes a toll on your social life. In addition to taking a pay cut, I started back at school which has other costs and takes up a lot of my time. It isn't easy going back to school, because you are working full time and managing your own home, finances etc. My friends are very understanding but can't really relate to my situation because they have been out of school for years now.
The risk I took was giving up a career to pursue my dream in a different profession. Many things could have went wrong. I could not do well in school, not be able to find a job to provide for myself, lose out on time with friends and family and even get into nursing and still not be happy with my career. Yes, it is challenging because my time is taken with work or school. I had to cut out luxuries that I was used to and enjoyed. But the other option was to do nothing and be unhappy. And for me happiness is at the top. The decision to chase happiness and life fulfillment versus money really opened my eyes to what is important in life.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.