Monday, January 26, 2015

Journal III from Deshawn Wilson


 
 I think reading is going pretty well so far. Were not expected to read like half the book in a week so it’s been good. The profiles are really interesting but in the part of the book it seems, as we go on the profiles are getting really short has anybody else noticed that? While reading I usually have my TV or something on but have to mute it then sit or lay down in a bunch of different ways to read. Normally I like the little side distractions when read or doing something but not so much while reading this. I like to pause when reading to really process what is really going on. I feel like I've able to connect to a few of the stories themselves.
               One profile and theme I want to connect to is Father Louis H. Greving’s profile and the theme of doing projects based on spiritual belief or passion. To learn how to build anything I set my mind to is the entire reason I’m here in collage. I want to be able to build something I’m proud of and build it with passion. As a kid I was always watching cartoons and played games about heroes, well I still actually do that but any way the heroes/ heroines would brave any danger and over come anything that the world through at them. Kingdom Hearts is by far my favorite. Well any way as a kid I dreamed of having my own sword and being strong like the people I saw. As a kid I always tried to make yo-yos, Fans, even a robot out of a bunch of scrape. But what I really want to make is a wooden sword. Our neighbor always had scrape wood in their backyard and took a large pole one-day and tried to make my first sword. Day after day I would pick up my tiny pocketknife or box cutter and whittle the wood away the get it to the point I wanted. I even tried to saw at it vertically which worked as well as you could expect sawing down a pole. I ended up getting cut or scratched many times and eventually I did end up giving on that attempt but not on the thought of having my own sword in general. My next attempt I took a long board and tried to make a broad sword. It ended up having a huge blade and looked like something that should be off of final fantasy and the blade had no edges and weren’t very even.  While working on it I gave up many times then one Halloween in middle school I was going to go out trick of treating with some friends which gave me more incentive to finish it just before then. To this day I still have the sword but this summer I plan on burning it along with a few of my other swords when I go camping.
 

When I read about Father Louis’s project and how it’s taking 50 plus years to make it makes me wonder what I would be building if I committed to a project for that long. Right now I want to say an awesome beach house or if I have the know how a model of a light cycle that really works. Father Louis’s profile is a reminder that you should follow your dreams and passions sure he wasn’t going to finish but at least he followed his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.