Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Journal 8 By Dhruv Patel

1.The most important theme of the novel Hiroshima by John Hersey is the importance of learning from mistakes made in the past. What spoke to me throughout the novel was how devastating the effects of nuclear warfare were on the people of Japan. The two characters that I believe are worth holding onto are Mr. Tanimoto and Father Kleinsorge. I believe this because these men showed tremendous bravery, selflessness and respect to everyone they encountered. Mr. Tanimoto's character is important because, even in times of extreme hardship, he was willing to sacrifice his time and energy to help those in need. This includes transporting people across a river, bringing water and food to injured people, and later trying to start charity organizations for people suffering from the after-effects of the bombing. Mr. Kleinsorge is another character of utmost importance because he also was selfless and tried to better people all throughout his lifetime.

2. My reaction that I do not want to forget is emotional. Thinking about how the bomb killed more than hundred thousand people and how it made many more suffer from horrific wounds and psychological effects is heartbreaking. Also I don't want to forget my emotions for the six characters who were able to survive and actually live some what of a normal life.

3. "Mr. Tanimoto lifted them away from the boat and as he did so, he experienced such horror at disturbing the dead- preventing them, he momentarily felt, from launching their craft and going on their ghostly way- that he said out loud "please forgive me for taking this boat. I must use it for other who are alive". (37)  I chose this passage because it shows what kind of man and what kind of character Mr. Tanimoto had. He even shows respect to the dead where if I was in his shoes I would move the dead bodies from the boat without thinking twice.

"Without even looking up from his work the doctor said in a tired voice this is my station. But there are many dying on the riverbank over there. The first duty, the doctor said is to take care of the slightly wounded (50). I believe this passage is worth holding onto because it raises the question in a crisis situation what is the right call? How do you decide on who to save first?

"Since that day, Father Kleinsorge has thought back to how queasy he had once been at the sight of pain, how someone else's cut finger used to make him turn faint. Yet there in the park he was so benumbed that immediately after leaving this horrible sight he stopped on a path by one of the pools and discussed with a lightly wounded man whether it would be safe to eat the fat, two foot carp that floated dead on the surface of the water. I think this passage shows how the effects of the bombing were immediate. It tells us how at first Father Kleinsorge was terrified by the sight of pain and blood and now he is walking among the dead and disfigured.

4. The action this book can inspire more people to realize that nuclear warfare is not an answer and that we need to do something to disarm nuclear bombs because if a nuclear war happens there will be no winners everyone will lose.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.