Savion Glover
By: Lily Eldadah
By: Lily Eldadah
Savion Glover
A man like no other
And with music as his lover
Tap shoes strapped on
And as he turns on his song
The African vibe hits him strong
As he taps along to the magical beat
He becomes the world wide tapper in Happy Feet
And tapped his way down The Sesame Street
Since the beginning of time he’s loved to tap
But at the same time he wanted to bring black back
So he combined them both and made black tap
At the age of 7, joining a group called Three Plus One
He demanded to dance while he played the drum
And he played that drum ‘til his hands went numb
Started to teach tap at only 14 years old
And by the age of 15, little did he know
He’d be nominated for a Tony award for his Broadway Show
Still alive at 41, a dancer and an actor
Choreographer too and the tap dance master
He is and will always be known as the “young and funk” tapper
Growing up with a mom, a dad, two sister, and many many relatives around me, I always remembered to count my blessings because some dream all day and all night of having the life that I live, but waking up to find no one but themselves, alone.
A dream I have always had in the back of my head was to build a home for those children without a mother or father to take care of them. Whether it was abandonment, or the death of their caretakers, I would help take care of them. I do not want to call it an orphanage because the word just seems so sad and depressing. I would call it a home. The name of the building would be “Our Home”. That way, they do not see it as a place where they are alone, but a place where they have only a slightly different type of family. I would try to have all the children have as normal of a life as possible. I hope, once I get my life together and stable to pursue my dream and open up Our Home with my husband and my own family. I know it will be a huge success.
Hey Lilly I did not know much about the culture of tap before reading your poem, but now i am very interested in this. I did not know that their weren't many black tappers and that so many popular movies had his work in them. I saw happy feet and didn't even realize that someone was tapping all those parts. I actually want to know more movies he is in now. I think your dream is awesome and the fact that you will be giving back to orphaned kids is amazing. I think that part of the world is something that can always use great people willing to help. I hope your dream comes true and your able to help thousands of kids in need.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, your poem is fantastic. I've know of Savion Glover, but your poem taught me more about it- and you read it correctly, don't worry. Your dream is extremely admirable and I'd totally love to help you if you ever need it, because I also think that it's important for children who don't have a home in the traditional sense to have a place where they can turn to and where they can feel loved, or at the very least accepted and get that emotional/material/etc. support.
ReplyDeleteYour dream is amazing. There aren't too many people in the world who want to go out of their way to help others, especially to go as far as to make sure those people are more than just okay, but happy. The idea of not calling your building an Orphanage is amazing and really think it should be that way all across the country. I truly do hope your dream comes true, because I can't imagine how much of a positive difference it would make on so many of the less fortunate youth in our country.
ReplyDelete