Monday, April 20, 2015

Journal 9 by Zach Baker

For this journal I decided to check out the Scotty Kilmer channel on YouTube. I was curious to see what this man had to offer about D.I.Y. projects on cars. Originally when I think about cars, and car repairs I immediately think just take it to the auto repair shop, that is their job is to fix cars! I never thought or took the time to learn how to work on a car by myself. But Scotty insures you that it does not take much money, tons of skill or even big muscles to work on your own car. He also explains that you do not need to be a mechanic wizard in order to start fixing up your car, that is what resources and the internet is for. This information is very useful and practical in everyday life because many people drive and have cars, so why not learn how to take care of them? This also inspires me to watch more of his videos, and do some more research and maybe do some D.I.Y. car repairs and take pride in some handiwork, cant hurt to learn and try!
This educational source that I am bringing forward is a source that I have personally used and have used in High School, that source is Khan Academy. Khan Academy is a free educational website that teaches through video lessons and much more. There mission statement is "to provide a free world class education for anyone, anywhere. We are developers, teachers, designers, strategists, scientists, and content specialists who passionately believe in inspiring the world to learn. a few great people can make a big difference". Khan Academy focuses on science, computer programming, history, economics,math and much more. There goal is to teach you from whatever learning level you are on and teach you how to tackle the problem areas. Khan Academy is also partnered with NASA, The Museum of Modern Art, The California Academy of Sciences, and MIT so you know there sources are backed up by the pros. One of the coolest aspects of Khan Academy besides its fun and easy tutoring and video lessons is that it is free to use. They believe in "a free world class education, for anyone, anywhere". This source is amazingly helpful and useful for students, teachers, and anyone else who wants to learn. It can take the intimidation out of these tough subjects so the world might become a little smarter one person at a time.
Khan Academy Home Page



   

3 comments:

  1. I decided to visit a different channel then the one you did. I had no idea what my channel was like until I scrolled down and watched few videos. I think that that is what it was maybe like for you as well? Trying to get to know this guy better and not only this guy, but get to know better what this guy represents and stands for. The fact that a mechanical auto shop doesn't always need to be there in order to fix a car! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not talk about Scotty Kilmore in my journal, but I watched a couple of his videos and found them very interesting and helpful. I like to do my own repairs on my car because they are so much cheaper than going to the dealer or to mechanics. I found your post very good and captured the essence of his channel.

    I found your paragraph about the Khan Acadmey very interesting. I had never heard of this resource before, and am upset that I have never taken advantage of this before. I Could of used this a lot in high school to benefit my education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zach, one of my biggest passions is DIY projects. I love learning to be self reliant and possessing skills others find daunting. I believe it is the most empowering thing in the world to be able to build and repair your things. With rising costs with school and other bills its almost a no brainer to look up how to do things cheap and actually accomplish it. I have not heard of Scotty before reading your journal but will definitely be checking it out, I do all my own repairs on my truck. Especially with rising repair costs its a little less of a burden to fix easy things with my own two hands.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.