Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Journal Eight: Garrett Coppler

     One important character throughout the story that I believe should be remembered is Father Kleinsorge. He not only helped the other Father he was traveling with, he also stopped to help others along the way. In the aftermath section of the book people even said that they thought he would kill himself with the kindness he showed to others. I also thought is transformation and his want to become a Japanese citizen throughout it all to be something to look up to.
     Dr. Sasaki is another character that should be remembered, not just for what he did during the bombing, but what he did with his life after. Right after the bombing he was helping others, saving countless lives and continued well past his exhaustion. He continued this until there was enough help  and didn't stop until then. Even years after the bombing he devoted himself to helping others by setting up hospitals and even bathhouses for patients.
   
     Although it might seem like a small part to others when compared to the other events in the story, but the man tearing down his home at the start really stood out to me. Not only did I feel sorry for him because he was tearing down what he had worked for, but he was also doing it for the betterment of those around him. When we found out he had died and his effort had been pretty much in vain I paused because I was hoping he would make it out okay.

     "The house next door which its owner had been tearing down to make way for a fire lane, was now very thoroughly, if crudely, torn down: its owner who had been sacrificing his home for the community's safety, lay dead."

     "Mr. Fukai, a very short man of about fifty, turned around slowly, with a queer look, and said, 'Leave me here.' " It wasn't this specific passage, but his character in the book. All he wanted was to die with his country, but the others tried to save him from his death. In the end it was something he chose and wanted.

     "The priest recognized several ruins from which these cries came as the homes of friends, but because of the fire it was too late to help." This passage stuck out to me because I couldn't imagine being in this situation. Having to leave your friends to the horrible death of burning alive must have been something these men will always remember.

     There is something important that I took away from this book that I think that many people today can learn from. Before reading this book I knew the bombings were bad, but it was an impersonal thing that had happened in the past, it was history. History like this shouldn't be forgotten, disasters like this should not be made to be impersonal. Before this book I didn't really understand all that the survivors went through just to survive, it should not be forgotten. Another case of this in history is the Holocaust. Of course people know it as a horrible thing, but also to most it is impersonal and just a piece of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.