Sally Ride graduated from Stanford University with a Masters degree and a Ph.D. in Physics and was the first American woman to enter outer space on June 18, 1983.
| Sally Ride in Space |
Sally Ride: Should I Be An Astronaut
I said, "Should I try to be an Astronaut?"
They all said, "Probably Not."
And when I asked "Why?"
They said, "Because all a woman will do is cry."
I said, "Should I be an Astronaut?"
They said, "We already said no, but you probably forgot."
Then I said, "But I want to go to space."
And they asked, "Why? We already won the race."
But I thought going in a space ship,
Would be a great trip.
Plus I'm really good with data,
So I got a job with NASA.
Then I became an Astronaut,
And everyone else said, "Well, why not?"
And now that I'm an Astronaut,
Everything else is an afterthought.
My Dream:
As a child, like many kids, I always wanted to be a professional athlete. Of course, as I got older and realized how slim the odds were, I decided to change course. I decided instead of being an athlete why not become a broadcast announcer for sports. There are so many different opportunities in this field with so many different television and radio sports channels. CBS, ESPN, ABC, FOX, they all have their own separate sports networks with hundreds of different channels in each major American sports.
As I covered in one of our earlier essays, my dad gave me my love of sports, and Stuart Scott influenced me to choose this career path, in broadcast journalism. That is why I chose to major in Journalism here at Ohio State and try to chase my dream everyday.
I loved your dream because of the way that you never gave up. First starting your dream off as being an athlete, and even though that didn't work out you never changed your course and stuck with sports. I think that's a really great dream and it'd be awesome to see you on TV someday!
ReplyDeleteYour dream is really amazing. Like you, Stuart Scott is also my idol. His speech that he gave at the ESPY'S was very inspiring. It is really nice that even though you realized that you weren't going to be able to a professional athlete you still have the same passion to be a sports broadcaster. Who knows some day in the future you could get your own talk show on ESPN. Good Luck
ReplyDelete