Sunday, April 19, 2015

Journal 9- Bryan Bryden

I visited Mr. Money Mustache’s crazy cool website and learned some great tips on how to save money.  Mr. Money claims that it is possible to retire in as little as 7-10 years.  However, his weekly savings amounts were way higher than what I make in a week.  I did find his advice about not following what advertisers and society thinks money should be spent on.  I think we all could stick with the same stuff for a bit longer to save some dough.  It kind of seems ridiculous to buy new electronics yearly, just because we “have to have” the latest and greatest new thing.  I would definitely use his tips concerning building my own items by recycling useless items.  Mr. Money Mustache made a homemade “construction radio” using stuff he got for free and retired in his early thirties.

College students know the struggles of not being able to afford high dollar meals.  I have followed an extremely beneficial YouTube page called Great Depression Cooking.  It features a delightful woman in her nineties that show users how to cook cheap and delicious meals from recipes she learned during the Great Depression.  Clara tells stories about her life during the Great Depression, along with some grandma style jokes.  My favorite recipe so far is The Poor Man’s Meal which is both easy to make and delicious.  Unfortunately, Clara passed away in November of 2013, so she does not have any new cooking videos.  I love watching her cook and tell stories because she seems like she could be anyone’s grandmother.

Poor Man’s Meal

Clara’s Great Depression Channel


Great Depression Cooking with Clara Cannucciari

1 comment:

  1. Growing up I've always been a builder but i only used the junk i had around. Pringales cans, pop cans and bottles, etc so i can connect with the building items with recyclable things. And the cooking sounds interesting I always thought that roman noodles was the prefect food for the struggling college student.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.