Two characters that I will hold on to throughout this book are Mr. Tannimoto and Miss. Saski. Mr. Tannimoto showed just what an incredible person he was from the beginning on this book to the end. He did everything in his power to help his people as much as he possibly could. Miss Saski, I think just had an incredibly hard life and I felt very sorry for her for much of the book. However, towards the end of the book she decided to change her life around and become a nun and try to help people who needed her now.
I just never realized all the damage that the atomic bombs had caused. I knew it had happened obviously but I had never really looked to much into it. I think this book shows Americans and all the countries who go to war with another just how much damage you are doing to each other. I don't want to forget about all these innocent civilians getting hurt in the process of trying to win a war.
"These thoughts led her to an opinion that was unconventional for a hibakusha: that too much attention was paid to the power of the A-bomb, and not enough to the evil of the war." I really like this quote because I think that it's dead on. The effect of the atomic bomb were awful and devastating but I think we need to start focusing on how we got to that point in the first place.
"He was slowing down a bit. His memory, like the world's was getting spotty." I think this was important because it shows us that we focus on these events for awhile, but then we start to forget about them and don't learn from mistakes such as these.
"Thousands of people had nobody to help them." This quote is short and really could hit you hard. Thousands of people were dying all over Hiroshima and there wasn't really anything people could do about it. I just think it would be surreal to see the amount of death and injuries that the people of Hiroshima saw that day and for days afterwards.
I think we need to learn from our mistakes. We need to look at history and realize all the mistakes we made in the past and make sure not to repeat them. All too often things like this happen and we forget about it and end up making the same mistakes all over again. So, I think we need to come to the realization that instead of focusing on the effects of war. We need to put more emphasis on the causes of war.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.