Stephen Hawking: A Poem
Throughout space echos answers, if only it could speak.
Imagine the exploration, discovery and learning.
Enter a man who is always listening, though his body may be weak.
His passion is education and deep down is a yearning,
to find the answers we seek.
He is known throughout for his wheelchair and robots voice,
yet still with discovery he will still rejoice.
From something as distant and grand as Hawking radiation,
to something as simple and simple s a carnation,
he believes physics will provide illumination.
Perhaps the worlds most well known physicist,
he hunts for truth, with the tenacity or a boar,
for such a task he is well equipped.
May we one day find what we are looking for,
but until that day, we have Stephen Hawking the adventurist. *
Part Two: I have many dreams that might seem impractical, illogical, or downright silly. Among these I think the grandest is my dream to design and build my own house. I think of myself as an old fashioned person and I would really like to have my own place somewhere quiet to raise a family and one day give it to them. Since a place I simply bought would have little sentimental meaning, it would have to be something I had a hand in. Over the last year I have been refining my drafts and the more I learn about architecture and engineering I make adjustments. I really think it would be neat to see it completed someday and I'm sure bit by bit I will do it. I really value peace and quiet, so if nothing else I could build it as a retirement home and stock it with books and a good writing desk. This goes along with another one of my dreams coincidentally. After I retire I want to Spend my last years reading books and writing papers and such. Perhaps I could do some small good that way too.
Your poem is a great piece of writing, I really liked how you structured it. Just like you I value peace and quite too!!
ReplyDeleteJacob, I thought that you did really well on composing your poem. You said you thought your dream was selfish, but I think that anyone's dream holds some form of selfishness. I hope that one day I drive by your self-built house without ever even knowing it. Enjoy sitting in your library reading books and enjoying your retirement in the peace and quiet. I hope you have a great summer!
ReplyDeleteHey Jacob, I too share the dream of building a home for my family one day. I think everyone should possess the skills to become self reliant. I grew up in a household that was centered around self reliance and I see the benefit of it everyday. My father owned a successful construction company before the crash of 2008. I spent all of my free time at his side on job sites learning valuable skills. Even as I progress through my twenties I try my best to do all my own repairs at home and with my vehicle. The resources are out there you just need the patience and ability to use them to your advantage. I have learned on my own how to drywall and even have remodeled my room at home for no money at all. Whenever my vehicle begins to show wear and tear from the stress I put on it, I research how to fix the issue and purchase the part online. I don't always succeed on my first attempt but I have learned resilience will see my task completed. So in conclusion of my little rant I implore you to learn and adapt to the requirements of your dream and hope that one day you stand proud in the shadow of your accomplishment.
ReplyDelete