Part One:
For my poem I chose Diane Arbus, who was alive from 1923 to 1971. She is a renown photographer, whose thought provoking photographs capture people on the outskirts of 'normal' society, such as transsexuals, dwarfs, circus performers and nudists among others.
Realistic
We’re all
flawlessly flawed
But in
today's photographs we're not
All
photoshop and plastic surgery
Fake smile
and unclear eyes
Diane Arbus
showed actual people,
The ones
we're taught not to stare at
The
outsiders
Realistic
For years,
that’s what she did
Showed
everyone who real people were
Photographed
those who we try not to see
The
outsiders, the freaks
But in her
pictures they weren't freaks
They were
alluringly human
The
outsiders
Diane Arbus holding one of her photographs: of a boy holding a hand grenade
|
Part Two:
Ever since I've been little I've wanted to have my own little, cozy bakery. As a kid I used to cut out furniture and sweets from magazines and tape them up onto pieces of paper and place them inside of a cardboard box that I would pretend would be the bakery. The cardboard box had doors, windows and rugs made out of scraps of fabric. Now that I think of it, it was rather impressive for the work of a little kid.
I think that if I were to create anything, it would be this bakery. I would make it a place where everyone would feel comfortable, and where it would be easy to meet people. It would be cozy and the food would be (hopefully) delicious. As a kid I never had a place where I belonged, since we moved around so much, and I would honestly love to give that to someone, because feeling like you're appreciated and like you belong is important. I think if I were to combine this with the bakery, it would be perfect.
The repetition of certain words in your poem really drives home the meaning of it. I really liked how you were able to tell the story of the photographer in such few words.Your dream to build a bakery sounds like something that would be enjoyable for all around.
ReplyDeleteI like your poem. In its essence it does an excellent job of setting a scene and showing what was valuable to Diane Arbus. I hope you get your bakery someday because i am selfish and love a good pastry. I think the idea of a nice and comfortable place to eat fills a real need in society today because it is slowly dying off to fast and industrialized food chains. Small mom and pops are a nice way to get personalized and genuine service, and good food too. Good luck with your dream.
ReplyDeleteI really love your dream, maybe because I love food, and would love to hear of "Johana's Bakery" one day. Especially if you give me free food *cough cough*. Your poem was great as well, I love the way you describe her photography of "freaks" and how she had her own photographic identity. Good luck with your dream!
ReplyDelete