Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Journal VII by Deshawn

              The character I choose to talk about was Reverend Kiyoshi Tanimoto. He was the pastor of the Hiroshima Methodist church and in my opinion one of the luckiest guys in Hiroshima or as lucky as one can get during a city bombing. Sure his house was destroyed but after the bomb dropped he was left uninjured and even found his wife and daughter in the chaos by just wondering around trying to escape. When he saw them this is what happened. "Mr. Tanimoto was now so emotionally worn out that nothing could surprise him. He did not embrace his wife; he simply said, "Oh, you are safe."(Page 30). I thought that was funny but I'll ament that his statement could be viewed in many different ways. During the chaos of the bomb Mr. Tanimoto was one of the few who stepped up and became a leader. For hours on end he ferried people who were at Asano Park, fetched water for many people, and didn't let grieve stop him.
           
             
Asano Park is the place I decided to research from the book. During the chaos from the bomb attack many people flocked to Asano for safety. Asano Park was also heavily mentioned in the early chapters of the book. When the book first described Asano Park it seemed like the prefect place to escape to. ( Far away from the explosion so that bamboos, pine, laurels, and maples were still alive. and the the refugees believed that if the Americans came back would only bomb building and spare the garden (page 35). Asano Park/ Shukkeien Garden as it is also known as was designated as a evacation center in case of attack. Many didn't realize that when the fires from the bomb would reach the park and it's giant trees would  channel the chaos of the bomb to the people. The inferno that occurred in the park took many lives and if it weren't for people like Mr. Tanimoto many more lives would have been lost Source (http://www.lang-arts.com/survivors/shukkeien.html)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Deshawn, you picked a great picture to show the true beauty of Asano Park. Just after the blast it became a hospital/safe zone/ everything else they needed. It seemed to be the only place within Hiroshima untouched after the bomb. I would be curious to see how many people had the urge to return after a few years, to experience the beauty of the Park, free of injured and dying people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening Deshawn. I agreed with your statement that Reverend Tanimoto was a very lucky guy. He was one of the few people in the Hiroshima area that was not injured at all. This was by per happenstance and he never came to think about how lucky he really was. He just kept saying how sorry/ashamed he was that he was not injured. But he really shined and tried to help as many people as he could. I loved your picture of Asano park. I never would of imagined it looked like that. I could only imagine the sight post attack in this park and such horror Mr.Tanimoto witnessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture of the park really helped to put the events there into perspective. I thought of it as a huge park where all the people gathered, but this just looks like a relaxing and serene little park. Its hard to imagine people crowding in there to escape from the flames

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Asano Park is a great topic to research. It played such a crucial role in throughout the whole disaster. I think the picture that you chose is a great picture because it really captures the calms and beauty of the park instead of the chaos and disaster that was described in the book.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.