Monday, April 20, 2015

Journal 9 - Shravan Patel.

I selected the youtube channel Veritasium, the video I watched on this channel was "Do cell phones cause brain tumor?". I chose this because my parents keep on bugging me not to use my phone cause they believe it causes brain cancer, so I always wanted to know if this is true or not . After watching the video I found out that cell phones DO NOT cause brain cancer. The video explains why there is no corelation between cell phone use and brain tumor; it's because the waves the cell phone use are similar to the waves used in microwave ovens, however in cell phones those waves are 1000x weaker and non ionizing, so there is no way cell phone waves could change your DNA, thus no cancer. Several experiments have also been conducted to see if there was a relationship between cell phones and brain tumor. One such experiment involved the entire Danish population by obtaining their cell phone medical records, the results showed no relation between cell phone usage and brain tumor. I am really interested in science and enjoy learning about random scientific phenomenas so I think I might visit this channel from now on just to learn random facts.

Khan Academy is a youtube channel I use on a daily basic, especially during finals week. Khan Academy is an educational channel on youtube it is operated by educator Salman khan ( undergrad at MIT and MBA from Harvard) . There are over 5,000 science and math videos on his channel from the basic concepts to complex concepts. Most of the videos are especially for high school and college students.
https://www.khanacademy.org/

6 comments:

  1. The Khan academy sounds pretty cool. I am sure if i had know about this a few years earlier i could have saved some time worrying about learning topics. I see you also watched the Veritasium channel on Youtube. I found him to be very cool, he answers questions that i had never thought of before but once i had my interest was peaked. I love watching interesting science videos in my free time and i am definitely adding his videos to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you can show your family that cell phones are completely safe. I thought it was awesome that you could use the video to satisfy your curiosity. The Khan Academy sounds like it would be really useful coming into the next two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Veritasium channel seems really interesting. Also it is very funny to me that your parents complain to you about being on your cell phone all the time because my parents are the same way. Also it is good to know that cell phones don't cause brain tumors because I always wondered if they did or not. For my source I also chose Khan Academy because I have used it many times to get help on subjects and topics that I couldn't understand. I also like their idea of free world wide education for everyone. More people should help growth their idea so that more subjects, topics and more help is added on the website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cellphone brain cancer debate has long been around, thank you for clearing it up, although now less people talk on their phone and now text. I too, use Khan Academy for math. I like how he explains things that I didn't quite understand in class. I will more than likely be using his math expertise a lot this upcoming week for finals prep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cellphone brain cancer debate has long been around, thank you for clearing it up, although now less people talk on their phone and now text. I too, use Khan Academy for math. I like how he explains things that I didn't quite understand in class. I will more than likely be using his math expertise a lot this upcoming week for finals prep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Veritasium website sounds really cool, I didn't read it! The Khan Academy one sounds really helpful though, I have heard of it before but have never actually looked it up. I will definitely have to look it up and use next semester!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.