Two
characters that I will hold onto from Hiroshima
are Mr. Tanimoto and Mrs. Nakamura. The reason I will be holding onto these
two characters is because they both played a huge role in the book by being
heroic, caring people, who put others lives before their own. Starting with Mr.
Tanimoto, I will hold onto how he responded to the atomic bomb by helping
others and apologizing to everyone he saw that was hurt. He felt guilty for
being lucky enough to not be harmed like everyone else, and this reaction is so
eye opening to how caring and considerate some people are. Next, Mrs. Nakamura,
who did anything and everything she could to take care of her three kids and
keep them safe. From the beginning of
the book after the bomb when she searched and screamed for her three children
and dug them out of the remains from the house, to the end of the book, where
although she was growing really tired she continued to work to make enough
money to feed her three children! Both these characters are very important and
survived the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, and instead of becoming malicious;
they were grateful for their lives and helped out who they could with their
wealth.
I do
not want to forget how I reacted to the book emotionally because I am a very
emotional person and that is the way I most reacted to the book. How strong
each of the 6 characters were in Hiroshima
and how positive they stayed throughout their lives is really motivating to me
and I hope that I will be able to go through my little struggles as well as
they did with their huge struggles. For example, Dr. Sasaki went through many
struggles in his life including the atomic bomb, the feeling of dying, and the
death of his wife, but he continued to prosper and continued to stay positive
and helpful. I hope to hold onto his reaction to hard times, and hopefully be
able to react in this way for my struggles in life.
Three passages I want to hold
onto are:
1.
“They did not
move and he realized that they were too weak to lift themselves. He
reached down and took a woman by the
hands but her skin slipped off in huge, glovelike pieces, he was sickened by
this that he had to sit down for a moment. Then he got into the water and,
though a small man, lifted several of the men and women, who were naked, into
his boat,” (45). I would like to hold onto this quote because it is a great
visual of how badly the people suffered after the bombing, and also how strong
and compassionate Mr. Tanimoto was because honestly I feel like if I was I his
position I would be too sickened by the sight of that to continue to help them.
2.
“And as if nature
were protecting man against his own ingenuity, the reproductive processes were
affected for time; men became sterile, women had miscarriages, menstration
stopped” (78).
3.
“The fathers and
brothers of the Nagasaki Novitiate noticed over the years that there were
almost always fresh flowers at the grave,” (118). This passage really stuck to
me.
One thing we can learn from this
book is to remember big events that have effected the world we live in. We
should not forget the things that changed history. Like many people have heard
before, “It is important to learn from
our past to avoid the reoccurrence of this in our future”. This book really helped me understand the
incident before, during and after the atomic bomb of average people living in
Hiroshima and a lot could be learned from this book.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.