Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Journal 9 by Garrett Coppler

     I decided to watch the Veritasium video about how trees are able to suck up the water so high when it shouldn't be possible. This one interested me the most because I love videos about science and history. I learned two interesting things from this video; one that water can't be sucked up in a tube more that 10 meters before it causes a vacuum and the water will randomly boil, and two that the trees use reverse pressure to help suck up the water. I had never really thought about how much had went into the process of getting water to the top of the tree so it was a pleasant surprise. This just further increases my interest in the mechanics involved in life and science.

     I have a couple of sources of creativity and education that I constantly checking for new content. The channel by CGP Grey is always something fun to listen to. It is mostly history oriented, but there are other videos that delve into popular things and concepts like Lord of the Rings. His videos can easily help you get a grasp on things like how the electoral college works. He also has a podcast with the person who runs Numberphile, a math oriented channel, called Hello Internet. It focuses less on the historical and facts, but is more of something of entertainment. Another great podcast is 99% Invisible. It focuses on the design and origin things that we might take for granted. It spans from Ouija boards to barbed wire.





Cgp Grey's channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CGPGrey
Hello Internet: http://www.hellointernet.fm/
99% Invisible: http://99percentinvisible.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.