Sunday, April 26, 2015

Poem and Dreams ~ Shannon Shenefield

Poem about Georgia O’Keeffe

Lake George, Autumn 1927 by Georgia O'Keeffe
My Art

Colors flow all around the canvas
Mixing, Joining, Creating
Images of brightness and darkness
Transforming, Converting, Enhancing
The natural world into abstract greatness
Allowing, Offering, Providing
Me the chance to share my uniqueness
Opening, Challenging, Redefining
Art with my styles and symbolism                              
Black Iris III, 1926 by Georgia O'Keeffe

The Truth in the Petals

They call me a feminist and I’ll tell you why
It’s the flowers you see
They have more to them than meets the eye
To see the truth look closely
And then you’ll know the reason why











Dream

One wild dream that I have is to open a small free day camp for children. I would like this day camp to be a place where children can come to get tutoring, a warm meal, and personal attention that they may not receive at home. I’m not sure if this dream will ever come true, and if it does how many children I would be able to help but it’s still something I hope to do. 

2 comments:

  1. I had seen a few of Georgia O'Keefe's paintings in Sante Fe when I lived in New Mexico years ago. Her work is very unique and thought provoking, as is your poem. I was impressed with how many of our dreams involved public service. I think it is our duty to give back as much as possible to the world around us. Each and everyone of us are blessed beyond measure to live in the greatest country in the history of Earth and to attend one of the finest universities in the land. I think we then owe it to the world to help our fellow people who are less fortunate. I wish you the best in your dream and I sincerely hope you succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always really like Georgia O'Keefe's art and your poem was absolutely stunning, especially the first sentence. I also love your dream, and it's honestly something that I could see myself doing also. I hope you get your dream one day and that you see those children smile at you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.